Product Manager, Discovery Engine
Foundation Medicine seeks to hire a Product Manager who will lead the development of a novel data product and a platform that accelerates oncology research and development (R&D). With one of the largest cancer genomic database in the world (>300,000 genomic profiles, each with high resolution digital pathology images), now linked to rich, real-world clinical EHR data for over 45,000 cases, Foundation Medicine is on the cusp of transforming drug discovery and clinical research through never-before-seen information solutions.
The ideal candidate for this role will combine understanding of oncology clinical research, practical experience in leading and managing complex product development initiatives, and technical fluency in data science and data management. If the idea of transforming cancer care and precision medicine by building an unparalleled real-world clinic-genomic data product excites you, this is a rare opportunity to make a real and visible impact on the field.
- Co-Develop strategy and roadmap for Discovery Engine. Based on your understanding of the market, unmet customer needs, and results of user research and prototype testing, and in concert with the Discovery Engine lead and FMI’s R&D leads co-develop and maintain a three- year strategy and roadmap focused on data solutions that accelerate R&D.
- Understand customer needs. Listen to and organize feedback and requirements from researchers, patients and biopharma partners. Collaborate cross-functionally to propose new product offerings and/or enhancements to current solutions to deliver performance and customer satisfaction.
- Drive development and test potential solutions. Lead multi-disciplinary teams (including technology, data science, clinical and other functions) to build and test prototypes, de-risk potential solutions, and probe key hypotheses and assumptions. Work with end-users to gather feedback and refine approaches.
- Optimize execution of solutions. As products mature, transition mindset from prototyping and piloting towards scaling and growing the impact of solutions, supporting multiple teams in FMI’s research & development units as well as the biopharma line of business.
- Track success of solutions. Define and track KPIs to ensure health and impact of the programs, advocate for resourcing, and adjust course as needed.
- Minimum BS in Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Biomedical Engineering, or a related scientific field. PhD or 3+ years of experience in data science for genomics, oncology or clinical research preferred.
- An understanding of molecular biology and/or cancer genomics. You’ll be developing a new platform for discovery of biomarkers and enabling new assay development. You’ll need to be able to understand the nuances of what’s needed for a data platform to support these activities, and how we can build them.
- Leadership: An ability to lead teams by influence without authority is essential. You should be comfortable working hand-in-hand with highly specialized cross functional teams like design, engineering, marketing, sales, business development, and finance. You naturally engage and enlist others to build coalitions in your cause both internally and externally. You know when to shift your style: when to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty and when to facilitate or delegate. You are responsive and have excellent communication and project management skills.
- Product Management: You will be responsible for designing, implementing, and successfully managing multiple programs through a mix of build, buy, and partnering approaches. Familiarity with modern product development principles (e.g., agile, rapid iteration and hypothesis testing) is a strong plus; at minimum, openness to learning and adopting new methodologies is required.