ezCater is the world’s largest online marketplace for catering – a $60+ billion market just in the U.S. Businesspeople use us to find and order great food for meetings and events; restaurants and caterers use us to grow their catering business. We’re backed by Insight Partners, Iconiq Capital, Wellington, Lightspeed, and GIC, and in early 2019 were valued at $1.25 billion. COVID slammed us, but we responded by finding new customer segments and seizing the rare opportunity COVID offered: when in life does a very successful operation get a do-over? Come help us power Food For Work even better than we did it the first time.
ezCater’s application platform team is responsible for foundational capabilities, building and maintaining services that serve workloads related to menus, orders, users, payments, identity and authentication, and third-party service integrations.
As the technical leader of this domain, you’ll be setting our direction for years to come on these topics and a number of other fundamental tech capabilities, helping ezCater to grow its engineering backbone and setting us up for the long haul.
- Build architectural standards for Rails applications, communicating via GraphQL to our various frontends in iOS, Android, and React
- Define the strategy for managing our backend applications across teams for effective ownership and maintainability
- Put domain-driven design principles into practice as we modularize our backend platform
- Be a visionary leader providing guidance and mentorship to your teammates across the organization
- Raise the bar for software quality, backend architecture, and expectations of what is achievable within the engineering organization
- 7+ years of professional development experience, ideally using Ruby on Rails
- A distributed systems mindset, and experience working both with service oriented architectures and monolithic applications
- A strong appetite for learning, and an ability to leverage what you learn to make our products better
- Excellent written and verbal communication and facilitation skills, and a drive to produce quality documentation
- An eagerness and willingness to give and receive feedback, because we all love learning from each other
- A friendly, flexible and pragmatic disposition
Nice to Have:
- Telemetry systems experience (e.g. Datadog, Sentry)
- Experience with event-driven architectures and streaming data platforms (e.g Kafka)
- Orchestration experience (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Integration experience with various third party APIs
What you’ll get from us:
You’ll get a terrifically compelling opportunity, in an environment of radical transparency, open access to all the data, and collaborative colleagues at every level of our organization. You’ll also get sane working hours and great flexibility around work/life balance.
Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and you’ll get all this: Market salary, stock options that you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K with ezCater match, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, a great office in the heart of Boston or Denver that you can’t use till COVID lightens up, a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies) once we get back to our offices, and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.