Executive and Legal Administrator at ezCater
ezCater is the world’s largest online marketplace for catering – a $60+ billion market in the U.S. We make it superbly easy for businesspeople to find and order great food for meetings and events, and we help our catering partners grow their business. We’re backed by $320 million in venture funding and in early 2019 were valued at $1.25 billion. Our mission is to power the world’s catering, and we’ll make it happen – even more surely if you come help us.
Executive and Legal Administrator
“Making it happen” requires crossing our T's and dotting our I's. Every day, we have more T’s and I's. Please come help. You’ll join a tiny but powerful team of administrative folk who help keep ezCater excellent.
We need a combination (a) Insanely Helpful Executive Administrator for ezCater's CEO & Founder [and, very occasionally, the other execs], and (b) Legal Administrator for our legal team. We anticipate your work will be split roughly 30/70 between EA work and legal administrator work. It’s a blend that puts you at the center of lots of interesting things that go on at ezCater.What does the job entail? Here are some real situations:
- The CEO’s calendar… she’s demanding but not a diva. Your job is to make her accessible to as many people as possible - NOT to protect her. And while you’re doing that (and everything on this list), be a model of insane helpfulness, excellence, and professional friendliness. That’s ezCater, and your position makes you an important exemplar.
- One of our Directors sent 20 essays titled ‘Required reading for marketplace startups’. You’d read the essays and create Cliff’s Notes so the entire Executive team can get the benefit in much less time.
- The CEO and CMO are eyeing a West Coast conference. Can we tie in some press meetings? Client or prospect meetings? Other networking? Working with others in the company (e.g., Marketing Communications, Sales) you’d help answer those questions. If enough answers are ‘yes’, you’d set up the meetings and travel arrangements.
- There’s a document for which we need three similar, but not identical, versions. The CEO got a draft of all three, and corrected errors and did some reformatting on one of the three. You’d make analogous changes to the other two, tailored to each version.
- The Exec team needs an offsite strategy session. You’d find a time and a room for that.
- An outside group wants to meet with the CEO, and there’s weird politics about where to meet. Sense that there’s politics, navigate them, and get an efficient meeting set up.
- Mass Challenge wants the CEO to be their keynote speaker, the same night as our Board dinner. Accept the MC invitation. Gather info about previous speakers to help the CEO write her speech. (Help write the speech?!) And, line up a place and time for the Board dinner, with one fewer attendee than normal.
- The year’s Board calendar needs to be set up. 6 meetings, 4 in person and 2 by phone, across the year, avoiding holidays and fitting into ~15 external and internal folks’ schedules. Ask the right questions, propose the schedule of meetings, get them onto all ~15 people’s calendars.
- The CEO is going to Colorado for 2 days and then California for one. Planes, trains, and automobiles…
Legal Team Support
- We enter into contracts every day. Get signatures for them, enter them into the contract database, set up the right alerts so renewals and expirations automatically get flagged, and do the right thing when an alert sounds.
- People all across ezCater have questions: what does this contract say? How much flexibility do we have on that contract? Help them get the answers.
- We like systems, so we create templates for many kinds of agreements. Help us create and polish those templates, and help surface the right one at the right time.
- We raise money, buy companies, create subsidiaries. Help us create and organize the supporting materials.
- We might well go public; if we do, then we will be public. Help us with all the supporting materials for that, including periodic public company filings. Before that, help us with all the periodic private company filings.
- We have money to spend, and we spend wisely. Track the legal department’s budget, and tell us - before it’s too late - if we’re about to go off the rails.
- Have 10+ years of success managing projects and/or supporting executives, including 3+ years supporting legal teams
- Can figure out what needs to be done, as opposed to what was asked
- Are warm and funny – and still cool under pressure
- Like projects as much as piddly details
- Have common sense and courage
- Have a passion for detail and speed
- Have exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Are a whiz with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, and
- Have polish, poise, and professionalism – even in casual wear
Then we'd love to speak with you!
What you’ll get from us:
Importantly, you’ll get a tremendous amount of authority and autonomy. You’ll own your outcomes and see measurable results for your efforts. With ezCater’s radical transparency and trust, you’ll have open access to the data that drives our decisions. You'll have a coaching environment to learn and develop, and ezUniversity sessions provide plenty of opportunities to expand your mind.
At the same time, you’ll get sane working hours and a huge amount of flexibility around work/life balance. Have people in your life – of any age – who always, often, or sometimes need your help? We make room for that. Have a bad thing or a good thing happen to you? We make room for that, too.
Oh, and here’s what else you’ll get: Market salary, stock options you’ll help make worth a lot, the usual holidays, all-you-can-eat vacation, 401K, health/dental/FSA, long-term disability insurance, subsidized T-passes, a great office in the heart of Boston, a tremendous amount of responsibility and autonomy, wicked awesome co-workers, cupcakes (and many more goodies), and knowing that you helped get this rocket ship to the moon.
ezCater is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace humans of every background, appearance, race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status. At the same time, we do not employ jerks, even brilliant ones.