Software Engineer Intern
At Ellevation, we develop world-class software to help school districts and educators support the fastest growing population of K-12 students: English Learners (ELs). By combining great products, student data, and research on best practices, Ellevation helps school districts transform their EL programs and ensure all students can achieve their highest aspirations.
We are a fast-growing, mission-driven technology company, partnering with nearly 600 public school districts all across the country. We are well-capitalized, have a strong and growing team, and are continuously focused on how to build the best organization so that we can achieve our ambitious social and financial objectives.
This is where you come in...
Ellevation is looking for a Software Engineering Intern to join our DevPro (Development + Product) team for the summer. You will play a key role in helping to build dynamic web applications and services, implement complex data and API integrations, and be part of the conception-to-design-to-implementation product development process.
As a key member of our small engineering group, you will be asked to create and contribute to parts of our software development ecosystem. While being cross-functional and hands-on in multiple areas, you will be testing, releasing and supporting the code that you design and develop. You will add value in a direct and tangible way to code reviews, design reviews, and analyzing product requirements. This is a tremendous opportunity to help build the engineering foundation of the company and learn from a team of driven engineers.
- Strong communication skills; comfortable getting in front of a whiteboard and discussing technical challenges and potential solutions.
- Analytical problem solver and a team player. Eager to learn, willing to ask questions, and highly motivated learn “on the job.” Naturally curious.
- Sense of urgency and ability to work hard and fast while maintaining attention to detail.
- At least 1-2 years of relevant technical experience, including recent experience with web application development.
- BS in Computer Science, Information Services or equivalent degree upon graduation.
- Committed to our mission; desire to focus talents on helping improve outcomes for others.
- C# or Java programming experience
- Understanding of SOLID, DRY, and similar design patterns, and O-O concepts and their application in refactoring
- Experience with a relational database system such as Microsoft SQL Server
Our Interview Process:
After an initial phone interview with our hiring manager, the next step in our interview process is a Technical Exercise. It is comprised of two parts -- “Technical Design & Coding,” which you are free to complete at your own schedule and use any available resources, and then a “Live Working Session” that will take place at the Ellevation office.
- Full-time, paid opportunity for the summer
- Great location in Boston - a stone’s throw from the Chauncy Street/Downtown Crossing T stop
- Ability to make a significant impact in the education industry
- Free snacks, beverages, fruit, and we even compost!
- On-site gym and game room
- Opportunity to join an open and collaborative work environment!