MBA intern - Geo Innovation (Field Data Solutions) at Indigo
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
The Field Data Solutions team sits within the innovation group and is responsible for trying to digitize farming by better capturing ground-truth data directly from agricultural lands and finding use cases for this data. This data can come from drones, sensors, soil samples, telematics on farm machinery, growers & agronomists, and many other sources.
This role will focus on the strategic needs of the team, which may include:
- Externally-focused growth strategy work to assess where digital farming is going and FDS’s fit
- Reviewing the myriad of field solutions available and identifying opportunities to create value for farmers, consumers, and the environment
- Finding opportunities to improve the value created form existing FDS products
- Evaluating commercial opportunities for the field data solutions we’ve created, both to understand product-market fit and the best course of action to align with company goals.
The article provides a glimpse into some of the problems we’re trying to solve: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/future-of-food/food-future-precision-agriculture/
We have an extraordinary opportunity to help farmers harness nature to feed the planet in a sustainable manner. Our biological advancements enable us to work with farmers to improve agriculture in a way that creates enormous economic value while benefiting the environment and providing consumers with a more natural food supply. The MBA Intern will work with the Innovation Team and its collaborators (e.g., Indigo Partners, R&D) to find, value, communicate, and operationalize technologies that enable Indigo to bring the future of agriculture into the present.
- Flexibility to work on specific project based on the current most needs of Indigo
- Help assess the future landscape for digital farming and what it means for Indigo’s Field Data Solutions strategy
- Assist the Innovation Team leadership in crafting business cases for the incorporation of emerging innovative field data solutions into the Indigo Model as well as identifying opportunities to use existing technologies in new ways that can create outstanding value for farmers, consumers, and the environment
- Identify opportunities to new technologies or use existing field technologies in different ways to drive value for Indigo
- Bring a commercial view to existing FDS products, considering product-market fit, go-to-market, and other consideration areas as needed
- Conduct phone interviews with cutting edge technology companies and key opinion leaders
- Present analyses compellingly and clearly to Innovation Team leadership, as well as internal collaborators, via Powerpoint
- Ability to craft innovative, new strategies going beyond where the ag industry is today
- Comfort working through ambiguity and as a self-starter
- Very strong power-point presentation skills; ability to develop a consulting-quality deck
- Business model or growth strategy experience
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Outstanding communication skills
- Passionately devoted to improving farmer profitability, consumer health, and the environmental sustainability of our food system
- Ability to hold and understand several complex ideas simultaneously across cross functional teams
- Entrepreneurial spirit with an insatiable interest in cutting-edge technologies who thrives in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrate grower empathy in interactions with all stakeholders (E.g., growers, to Innovation Team Leadership, to internal collaborators, companies, and KOLs)
- First-year MBA candidates with a strong track record of academic excellence (3.5+ undergrad GPA)
- Academic background in business, math, engineering, science, agronomy, or related field
- Ag and food work or digital ecosystem experience preferred
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.
*we ask that MBA candidates limit themselves to 2-3 applications (maximum) across our open opportunities*
Our application deadline for MBA internships is December 4, 2019 (EOD).