Market Insights & Strategy MBA Intern: Summer 2020
As one of the fastest growing Software-as-a-Service platforms in North America, Toast is a Google Ventures backed company that is revolutionizing the $800B restaurant industry. Founded in 2012 and launched in 2013, Toast was recently recognized as the 3rd fastest growing software company on the Deloitte Fast 500 and named to the Forbes Cloud 100. Our most recent funding round valued us at $2.7B. By embracing our customer community, Toast has developed a restaurant management platform that is allowing restaurateurs to delight guests, do what they love and thrive.
The Toast Market Insights team is responsible for understanding the restaurant market and competitive landscape and bringing to life the value, differentiation and proof points of our offering. This is a high-impact role that will offer substantial senior leadership exposure and the opportunity to drive long-term shareholder value at a hyper-growth startup.
In this role, you will be responsible for providing data-driven insights to inform key strategic decision making across the company, with an emphasis on market research. You will be designing, executing and analyzing primary market research to help answer our biggest strategic questions. The ideal candidate enjoys playing a significant role in setting company strategy, has a proven track record of uncovering market insights, and thrives in a hyper-growth environment. If you’re a data-driven market researcher with strong communication skills and a “get stuff done” attitude, read on!
What You'll Do
- Work directly with the Director of Market Insights and senior leaders to develop and directly execute quarterly strategic and operational plans that drive growth
- Become the market expert on the restaurant industry and technology landscape; actively shadow sales teams, interview clients, prospective clients, partners, and industry influencers
- Develop and executive quantitative market research surveys and qualitative market studies to the standard of top tier consulting and private equity firms
- Deeply understand the buyer’s persona, conducting competitive and win/loss analyses
- Develop a deep understanding of our competitors - get out of the office, see their products in action, tear down public statements and financials, do interviews and get the on-the-ground truth
- Unearth insights into buyer needs and market opportunities to influence company strategy and product roadmap, including corporate development activities
- Develop and deliver market insights and recommendations to cross-functional team members and executive leadership in order to gain alignment on priorities and strategic direction
- Understand market dynamics around price and make recommendations for pricing and commercialization strategies and co-design price tests, evaluate results, and make clear recommendations
Do you have the right ingredients?:
- Currently enrolled in an MBA program
- Strong analytical skills and experience with primary market research and data analysis
- Advanced knowledge of syndicated market intelligence sources, marketing research methodologies, and analytics
- Bonus skills are knowledge of SQL, Python, or R
- Deeply curious about our market, competitors and customers
- Highly collaborative mindset; experienced at working cross-functionally to drive results
- Strong writer, presenter, and verbal communicator: ability to build strong, compelling story lines and recommendations that are deeply evidenced in both quant and qual research to move leadership to action
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail to ensure tight deadlines are met both internally and externally
- Interest and passion for startups, tech, and restaurants