Crop Modeling Analyst Co-op at Indigo
Crop Modeling Analyst Co-op
Please Submit applications by 6am on Tuesday, December 15th, 2019.
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, conserve resources for future generations, and grow healthy food for all. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, and rice. The company, founded by Flagship Pioneering, is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
Join a fast-paced data team that thrives on solving tough data challenges to take the business forward. Use existing research, programming, and data skills to implement models that predict crop growth and milestones. Work with our team to productionize and deliver analyses and model prototypes to Agronomists, and our growers. Learn about data analysis and practical industry data science from the group. Please note that the interview will include a detailed case study, including research and coding questions. We anticipate the case-study to take around 5-10 hours to complete, depending on your experience.
- Conduct research on crop-growth patterns from existing literature and university extension articles.
- Study and create documentation on existing crop models in the public domain.
- Become an expert on existing crop models and their output.
- Write out the logic and end-to-end framework for implementation of the model in consultation with the team.
- Write code in SQL, Python, and R to implement new crop modules/models.
- Follow good coding practices and document the code within all repositories owned by the team.
- Facilitate feedback meetings to brainstorm novel ways to make the model output more useful to our agronomists.
- Build on initial prototypes from the team and extend them with newer ideas.
- Learn to manipulate GIS objects and workflows and incorporate them in prototypes.
- Understand and embody our purpose & core values
- Excited by Indigo’s mission; believes that Indigo can fundamentally change the agriculture industry; can clearly articulate passion for our mission and values
- Optimistic and innovative; solution-oriented; shows no signs of cynicism
- Will be widely viewed as someone who personifies our core values, is committed to them, and leans on them when making decisions. Specifically:
- Demonstrates a track record of high integrity - doing the right thing, owning mistakes, conducting oneself honestly
- Values, communicates and interacts with others with high levels of transparency and respect
- Collaborates well across functions; creates an inspiring and collegial work environment
- Strong programming skills.
- Willing to delve into new literature and learn about a specific facet of agriculture in detail.
- Familiar with version control and git.
- Strong communication skills. Willing to learn good coding practices.
- Able to work within short deadlines.
- Desire to learn more about data science and data process in the industry.
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.