Bioinformatics Summer Internship
Bioinformatics Summer Intern, June 1 - August 15, 2020
The deadline to apply to this internship is January 21st, 2020 at 6am. Additionally, please note that candidates should only apply to a maximum of 3 Indigo internships.
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
The Bioinformatics team at Indigo aims to power the development of microbial products using data from high-throughput sequencing technologies. We use techniques of data science and machine learning to understand microbes and predict where, why and how they will be effective in helping plants grow. The Bioinformatics summer intern will participate in ongoing team projects to gain insight into microbial biology from genomic and/or community sequencing data.
- The Bioinformatics intern will learn about high-throughput sequencing data and how it is used in biological research.
- The Intern will learn to apply data visualization methods to genomics data to gain insight into organism biology.
- The Intern will learn to apply methods from statistics and machine learning to test associations between genomic features and laboratory assay data.
- The Intern will learn to scope a computational project to produce a production-ready tool within the span of the internship.
- Retrieve data from SQL databases and manipulate it using standard Python libraries (pandas, matplotlib/seaborn).
- Produce well-documented, reproducible code in Python for analyzing datasets.
- Apply common machine learning algorithms to a dataset using sci-kit learn.
- Troubleshoot problems with code or data.
- Present results of summer work in a short presentation.
COMPETENCIES & QUALIFICATIONS
- Current Master's or PhD student in computational biology/bioinformatics, physics, mathematics, computer science, engineering, or similar quantitative discipline, or biology-related field with quantitative experience
- Experience coding in Python (preferred), R or other programming language, comfort working with UNIX command line
- Experience retrieving data with SQL a plus
- Strong interest in biology required
- Familiarity with statistics and/or machine learning
- Experience with quantitative analysis of biological data a plus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to communicate results effectively to diverse audiences
- Ability to learn about a subject in a self-directed manner
WHO YOU’LL BE WORKING WITH
The Bioinformatics intern will work closely with other members of the Bioinformatics team, and will also work with other Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Software Engineers and R&D Scientists.