Head of Risk at Hopper
| Greater Boston Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 12:59 p.m. (EST) on Wednesday, August 18, 2021
• A degree in Finance, Math, Statistics, Economics, or other quantitative disciplines
• 5+ years of experience in a similar role
• Direct risk based analytical product experience (e.g., lending credit models, credit risk, insurance underwriting)
• Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills, with strong modeling experience
• Proven ability to influence senior stakeholders
• Managed at least one analyst, and is keen to build a strong team
• Experience or desire to learn SQL and other programming tools to scale and solve problems
• Enthusiasm and curiosity for conducting research and answering hard questions based on data
About the job
We’re looking for a great analytical mind with impeccable business judgment, who has had experience in risk based products (e.g., lending, insurance) and wants to apply this knowledge to the travel industry. We are pioneers in creating and launching risk based products in this space, and need someone to join and help us formalize better how we think about them financially and strategically. Reporting to CFO, the Strategic Finance Manager - Risk will partner with the heads of our business units that develop risk based products, helping us think how to measure risk, offload some types of risk, allocate capital across these segments and define our risk appetite framework. You will see the big picture and help business leaders set up our long term strategy, but at the same time you need to be obsessed with details and understand the nuances behind the numbers. This is exciting new territory, and we dont believe this job exists anywhere else, so we are not looking for direct experience. We would expect that you understand risk deeply, are willing to get into the details and understand the operational and financial drivers involved. You are happy working with senior stakeholders and are capable of influencing them, with clear and concise messages. You are also competent in SQL (or eager to learn) and like playing with huge data sets, destiling insights and ways of thinking about the future.
- Measure, communicate, influence and offload risk
- Define our risk appetite framework
- Help define our strategy towards risk based products
- Partner with heads of risk based products business units
- Create, update and maintain financial models, risk reporting and forecasts
- Craft and convey messages with credibility to influence senior business owners
- Leverage SQL / Big Query to access, manage and gain insights directly from data.
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Today, Hopper is best known as a travel app. We're going to do about $1B in sales this year and weathered the COVID storm better than anyone expected. We just raised $170M from Goldman Sachs and Capital One, and inked a deal to be the exclusive travel provider for Capital One Travel.
We owe our success, in large part, to a proprietary suite of data-driven and risk-based financial services that we have developed that complement a customer's trip-purchasing experience. One example is Price Freeze, where our customers are able to purchase a financial option in the app to lock in any price that they see, on any item, for as short as 1 hour or as long as 21 days with Hopper taking the risk on the other side of the trade.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants.
Read Full Job Description