At Hopper, we’re on a mission to make booking travel faster, easier, and more transparent. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing travel app -- one that enables our customers to save money and travel more. With over $235M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its path toward becoming the go-to way to book travel as the world continues its shift to mobile.
Recognized as the fastest-growing travel app by Forbes and one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company two years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 40 million times and has helped travelers plan over 100 million trips and counting. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016 and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Take off with us!
A stellar opportunity to have a massive impact: join the rapidly growing team at a company that continually redefines how people travel. Hopper was built on the premise that the combination of big data + machine learning could empower travelers in a completely unprecedented way.
We’re looking for a data-savvy individual to join our Data Science team as an Economist. In this role you will be responsible for supporting the proactive production of airline and accommodation industry research content with Hopper’s Data Science and communications teams. Leveraging our archive of several trillion data points, you will answer critical questions facing the travel industry and support the scaling of Hopper’s research and media center.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
- Generate brand affinity and organic growth via proactive research and collaboration with the largest national media outlets such as NBC, ABC, Fox News and more.
- Transform complex analyses into short, compelling, and easy to understand studies to share with journalists aimed at a consumer audience.
- Contextualize Hopper’s database of trillions of data points by applying an econometric toolkit to provide impactful insight into airfare and accommodation trends.
- Work with key stakeholders across Hopper in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
A STRONG CANDIDATE HAS:
- A degree in Computer Science, Economics, Math, Statistics or other quantitative discipline
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- The ability to distill complex subjects and data into compelling and understandable writeups
- Exposure to scripting with Pandas, R, SAS or other data preparation and analysis tools
- Experience with relational databases, Python and SQL would be an assetStrong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience using data visualization software to creatively tell data stories is a plus
ABOUT THE TEAM
Our data science team cares deeply about the growth and success of Hopper, and is invested in delivering the best possible experience we can to our more than 40 million users. Work on an award winning product that our customers love and continue to find exceptionally useful in a market and space that is continually growing every year.
• Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
• Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
• 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
• Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)
• Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or parking pass
• IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
• Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and snacks (both healthy and not-healthy)
• Team lunches, offsite activities and much more!