Associate Manager, Carbon Strategy
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
Indigo Carbon and the broader Terraton Initiative is the most explicit expression of our sustainability goals yet. Our goal is to remove 1 trillion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, sequester it in agricultural soils, and by doing that, improve the health of the soil, the profitability of farmers, the quality of our food, and the health of our planet. This goal is massive, and it will require a diverse team to make it happen. If you’ve been looking for a company that moves at the speed of Silicon Valley and is explicitly taking on climate change, we’d love to hear from you.
There is not yet a carbon market in the world that is transacting the volume of carbon the world needs. There are carbon markets, and they are doing good work, but they have not hit the scale we all need them to. We aspire to meet that need. The hurdles we face are numerous, they are dynamic, and they aren’t easy. The Associate Manager of Carbon Strategy will own large pieces of ambiguous projects. These projects will be both qualitative and quantitative. It will sometimes feel like whack-a-mole, where after each victory, we simply reveal the next hill to climb. But they’ll be fascinating and inspiring, and always with a vision of the massive world impact we aspire to. We’re looking for a future leader excited by tackling tough, inspiring problems.
- Develop a holistic understanding of Indigo’s carbon credits and their path to market
- Become a trusted business thought partner to Indigo’s team of industry-leading experts in carbon credit development, agricultural science, and supporting technology
- Push maximum progress across workstreams through both process leadership and direct content ownership
- Independently scope and own qualitative or quantitative projects, entailing research, analysis, and resource drafting from across the organization
- Serve as key interface between carbon credit workstreams and Indigo senior leadership
- Excellent communication skills with client-facing orientation, including:
- Clear verbal and written communications
- Demonstrated mastery of presentations
- Ability to interact with executives with poise
- Ability to boil down complex concepts to plain language
- Resourceful and solution-oriented with a high degree of ownership (e.g., demonstrated ability to pull on different sources and people to work through roadblocks)
- Skillful in coalition development, with proven ability to influence stakeholders across levels and contexts
- Highly detail-oriented; able to handle multiple complex workstreams without letting things slip
- Highly creative and entrepreneurial; able to own and drive a product roadmap
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and comfortable with ambiguity
- Adept at learning highly technical concepts quickly
- Humble, with high openness to learn from others and willingness to serve any need
- Strongly passionate for the mission of Indigo and Indigo Carbon in particular
- 2-6 years’ work experience in a highly analytical role required, preferred experience in management consulting or equivalent function
- Range of responsibility levels available depending upon demonstrated experience
- Top-tier analytical and presentation skills required
- Product or project management experience a plus
- Scientific experience a plus (e.g., technical degree or experience working with scientists)
- Role is based in Boston; some travel to be expected
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.