The Actuary, Analytics/Forecasting analyzes and forecasts financial, economic, and other data to provide accurate and timely information for strategic and operational decisions. Establishes metrics, provides data analyses, and works directly to support business intelligence. Evaluates industry, economic, financial, and market trends to forecast the organization's short, medium and long-term financial and competitive position. The Actuary, Analytics/Forecasting works on problems of diverse scope and complexity ranging from moderate to substantial.
The Actuary, Analytics/Forecasting ensures data integrity by developing and executing necessary processes and controls around the flow of data. Collaborates with stakeholders to understand business needs/issues, troubleshoots problems, conducts root cause analysis, and develops cost effective resolutions for data anomalies. Advises executives to develop functional strategies (often segment specific) on matters of significance. Exercises independent judgment and decision making on complex issues regarding job duties and related tasks, and works under minimal supervision, Uses independent judgment requiring analysis of variable factors and determining the best course of action.
This role is in the Employer Group Medical segment and has overall ownership of a number of key pricing tools, especially those required for developing group-specific claims estimates and premium needs. This includes:
1) Assumption development for group-specific rating and pricing
2) Implementation of assumption updates into new business and renewal pricing tools
3) Analyses of assumption actuals vs expected
4) Ensuring assumptions are designed to hit segment financial targets
5) Direct ownership of group-by-group pricing for renewal blocks of business
6) Opportunities to collaboratively build, implement, and/or measure predictive models for risk and elasticity
In addition, the incumbent will lead a small team of actuarial associates, will collaborate heavily with underwriting, and will be accountable for presenting results to actuarial and segment leadership. The incumbent will also be expected to drive improvements in our methodologies, tools, and processes, including assisting in our migration to a new rating platform.
• Bachelor's Degree
• FSA or ASA plus relevant advanced degree, recent and relevant work experience, and/or other relevant professional designations.
• Strong communication skills, including with non-actuarial leaders and coworkers
• Experience in more than two functions (e.g., modeling, pricing, rate filing, reporting & analysis, reserving or trending)
• Prior project leadership experience
• Experience pulling data in R, SQL, VBA, or Access
• Some prior people leadership experience
• Experience within healthcare industry
LOCATIONS: Mkt Ofc, Green Bay, WI, preferred, or Louisville, Ky, any market office or WAH