UX Designer at edX
Check out a video with a Sr. UX Designer on the Experience team here.
edX, a Cambridge-based non-profit, is dedicated to increasing access to high-quality online education to everyone, everywhere. It’s a big job - think internationalization, accessibility, and usability - and we’re looking for someone interested in the challenge of building great experiences within the ed-tech program space.
The culture at edX is casual and collaborative. UX team members are embedded into larger, cross-functional teams with product and engineering. Our Agile workflow and embedded structure allows us to influence and shape decisions about what to create for learners. We conduct our own research with learners.
- Have 4+ years of professional experience in the software/design/digital world
- Recent experience in UX roles ~2+ years
- Experience with delivering UX work for Product Development in an Agile environment
- Prioritize tasks for value-added work through formal and informal channels.
- Proactively identify opportunities for improving the customer experience.
- Solid communication skills (verbal and written) that build and foster collaborative relationships with people at all levels of the organization
- Create partnerships with Product management and other stakeholders to understand and influence the customer-centric strategies that balance business and user needs in a practical and effective way
- Effectively articulates the business value of design in all work
- Walkthrough your thinking and processes to show us your work
- Create/use the right artifact, at the appropriate fidelity, at the right time for a team/project/effort.
- Recognize trade-offs and makes defensible decisions with clearly communicated reasoning
- Actively solicit and respond to feedback, sharing when you do or do not incorporate it and why
- Enjoys tackling a variety of problems with varying complexity
- Experience with designing within brand standards, guidelines, and/or design systems
- Demonstrate experience with foundational UX methods such as research, prototyping, design thinking, information architecture, or UX-related discipline
As an edX UXer, you:
- Advocate for your design choices and ground them in usability heuristics, WCAG 2.0 accessibility guidelines, and user research
- Adhere to UX best practices to ensure consistency across applications
- Successfully engage and self-manage work while operating within a team
- Experiment regularly - find data, make research plans, make prototypes (of all levels of fidelity and interactivity), run studies, analyze results, and take action
- Understand established interactive technologies and possess an undying thirst to learn about new ones
- Define and work within visual themes based on your experience with grids, typography, color, and design principles
- Document your thinking using thoughtfully chosen and informed deliverables and artifacts like: sketches, wireframes, prototypes, site maps/flows, personas, and design comps
- Are embedded with a cross-functional team and collaborate with peers in product and engineering
- Use a variety of tools and techniques as appropriate for your team’s needs
- Inspire others in the org to engage with design thinking and best UX practices
- Act as a champion for the customer to help elevate the quality of work of the overall UX team
Sorry, employment visa sponsorship is not available. This position is based in our Cambridge, MA office.