Senior UX Practitioner
Check out a video with a Sr. UX Practitioner on the Experience team here.
edX, a Cambridge-based non-profit, is dedicated to increasing access to high-quality online education to everyone, everywhere. It’s a big job - think internationalization, accessibility, and usability - and we’re looking for someone interested in the challenge of building great experiences at scale.
We’re backed by Harvard and MIT and located in the heart of Kendall Square.
We like doing cool stuff and we GSD.
The culture at edX is casual and collaborative. UX team members are embedded into larger, cross-functional teams with product and engineering. Our agile workflow and embedded structure allows us to have a lot of influence and shape decisions about what to create for learners. We do our own research with learners.
- Have at least 5-10 years professional experience in the software/design/digital world
- Recent experience in UX roles ~ 5+ years
- Well developed business acumen - you ask good questions, engage in critical thinking, and understand how to balance business needs, user needs in a practical and effective way
- Happy to talk through your thinking, your processes, and to show us your work
- Deliver UX for Product Development in an Agile environment
- Influence and model ways of working beyond the local UX team to evangelize and push design into the larger organization
- Demonstrate expertise in a foundational UX method like research, surveying, prototyping, design thinking, information architecture, or UX-related discipline
- Lead teams, direct work, coach, mentor, and train junior team mates
- Prioritize, manage, and identify opportunities for value add work through formal and informal channel
As an edX UXer, you:
- Identify and solve edX learners’ problems (no really)
- Articulate your design choices and ground them in usability heuristics, WCAG 2.0 accessibility guidelines, and user research
- Experiment a lot - find data, make research plans, make prototypes (of all levels of fidelity and interactivity), run studies, analyze results, and take action
- Understand established interactive technologies and possess an undying thirst to learn about new ones
- Define and work within visual themes based on your excellent understanding of grids, typography, color, and design principles
- Document your thinking using thoughtfully chosen and informed deliverables and artifacts like: sketches, wireframes, prototypes, site maps/flows, personas, and design comps
- Are embedded with a cross-functional team and collaborate with peers in product and engineering
- Use a variety of tools and techniques as appropriate for your team’s needs
- Act as an active participant, mentor, and subject matter expert (with some UX domain) to help elevate the quality of work of the overall UX team
- Motivates, inspires, and influences others in the org to engage with design thinking and best UX practices
- Participates in identifying and defining strategic initiatives as well as supporting those efforts
Drives meaningful results through their work - like increased engagement, Return on Investment, Conversion, Revenue
Sorry, employment visa sponsorship is not available. This position is based in our Cambridge, MA office.