Product Design Manager at edX
Headquartered in the heart of Cambridge’s Technology Square, we also accept applications from remote employees in the following US states: MA, CO, CT, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VT.
You will be part of a talented cross functional team that is changing the way that learners and course administrators engage with online education around the world!
The Experience team within edX is growing! Our embedded Agile structure allows the group to influence and shape the user experience across the edX platform. In this role within our Engagement theme, you’ll partner closely with members of product design, product management, and engineering to improve the end-to-end learner experience; from searching for a course to interacting with our learning management system (LMS) on our mobile app to celebrating with a certificate or degree. We are also underway with building our design system for the future. From course cards to our more complex patterns, these efforts will enable our core product teams and in the future our large open source community.
- Shape the strategic vision of key engagement areas of the platform (including search and acquisition, mobile app, and courseware) in close partnership with cross-functional leads (engineering, product, marketing)
- Manage and maintain our design system and pattern library while empowering contributors from engineering and design to help develop the breadth and depth of the UI of our platform
- Act as a servant leader, mentor, and subject matter expert to help elevate the quality of work within the overall Experience team
- Manage and support the career development and performance needs of a small team of product designers
- Lead and mentor others in discovery research using multiple methods while widely sharing insights to the cross functional team as well as with the organization
- Influence, model, and scale ways of working beyond the local product design team to evangelize customer-centric design into the larger organization
- Plan and facilitate broader design review sessions including feedback synthesis in real time to articulate and capture next steps and solutions with team members and stakeholders
- Proactively prioritize, manage, and identify opportunities for value-added work through formal and informal channels
- Rigorously measure the impact of design work and provide evidence-based design guidance to teams and stakeholders
- Thrive in ambiguity; lead problem-solving within complex systems with ease
- Act as an innovation catalyst by identifying opportunities for step-function change
- Establish best practices and philosophies around a variety of tools and techniques
- Relevant experience in a product design (UX/UI) role ~10+ years
- 3+ years of experience mentoring, coaching and/or managing team members
- High EQ which helps you collaborate with colleagues of all levels, bring cross-functional teams together, and foster a supportive manager/employee relationship
- The desire to partner with a cross-functional team to reach great solutions, educate and influence through design best practices
- Deep expertise with delivering and managing design work for Product Development in an Agile environment
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Experience creating high fidelity designs
- Expertise in managing and maintaining design system and pattern libraries
- Experience with defining both happy path and edge case story maps that consider engineering as well as business constraints
- Expertise in identifying the need for and facilitating collaborative group activities and/or workshops with colleagues
- Experience with concept validation research, usability testing, and other methods of customer research
- Passion for inspiring others in the org to engage with customers, design thinking and UX/UI best practices
Nice to Have
- Front-end engineering skills
- Interest in creating centers of excellence
- Specialize in information architecture (IA)
edX is the education movement for restless learners. Together with our founding partners Harvard and MIT, we’ve brought together over 30 million learners, the majority of top-ranked universities in the world, and industry-leading companies onto one online learning platform that supports learners at every stage. And we’re not stopping there—as a global nonprofit, we’re relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location.
Sorry, employment visa sponsorship is not available.