Product Design Director at Indigo
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 farmers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
Do you believe that design can change the world? At Indigo you will have the opportunity to directly impact the future of agriculture by working on products that reinvent how crops are grown and sold. We’re a quickly expanding UX team, creating software solutions for farmers, agronomists, grain buyers, and scientists. Indigo is looking for an experienced design leader to work collaboratively with key business stakeholders, product managers and developers to bring these ideas to life. If you thrive in fast-paced, start-up environments and are interested in the opportunity to own the design of end-to-end solutions that solve some of the most challenging problems facing modern farming, we’d love to talk.
Women and minority candidates are especially encouraged to apply. Indigo is committed to living our values and creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow. As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.
- Research: Influences cross-functional decisions on strategy and priorities by gathering, codifying and effectively communicating qualitative and analytical data about the current customer experience.
- Strategy: Defines UX vision for an entire product area in collaboration with their design team, cross functional peers in Software Product Development, customer-facing teams throughout Indigo and our users themselves. Iterates that vision based on feedback and learning.
- Execution: Guides execution of detailed design work, ensuring high quality of released product through design review and testing with internal subject matter experts and end users.
- Management: Builds, shapes and retains their product design group, managing 10+ designers adeptly via 2-3 design team leads. Continuously improves product development work processes with a focus on quality and pace of outputs and outcomes, and efficient user inspiration/validation.
Competencies / Strengths:
- Excellent collaborator who draws the best out of colleagues while contributing and influencing with strength.
- Demonstrates the necessary drive, patience and persistence to achieve results in the most challenging circumstances, inspiring others to do the same.
- Loves working with numbers, distilling complex data into understandable charts and graphs, and then designing these visualizations into an approachable software product.
- Understands the value and importance of visual design, even in B2B products, and can drive quality in this domain.
- Experienced and adept at management and mentorship. Provides effective and timely feedback to direct reports and also to colleagues.
- Likely has an undergraduate degree in a design-related field, or has transitioned from a technical degree to the UX design field. May have equivalent experience in place of a degree.
- Several years of experience as a hands-on digital designer. Still likes to go deep into problems and open up Figma/Sketch/Axure or similar to experiment with ideas and help their team find the best solutions.
- Has previously successfully led a team of ~10+ designers, preferably with experience as a “manager of managers”.
- Has worked within a modern software development team, and is experienced at operating as a designer, and design leader, amidst agile methodologies and scrum.
- Experience in both B2B and B2C digital products. Loves digging into arcane business workflows, and trying to simplify them. Experience with two-sided marketplaces is a plus.