Principal Product Designer
Are you the type of person who is passionate about design? Do you thrive on clean layouts and simple solutions? Do you love solving tricky problems via collaborative brainstorms with other great designers? Do you find yourself constantly noticing ways to make the things you interact with on a day to day basis more user-friendly? If so, you sound like you could be a great fit for our team.
As a member of the Fuze Product Design team, you’ll be an integral part of the group that is responsible for the design of our entire product line. You’ll be collaborating closely with our other designers and dedicated research team to ensure everything we do is cohesive, easy to use, and innovative.
In this Principal Product Designer role, you will be responsible for the various products we build for IT Administrators. You’ll have end-to-end involvement in the process, meaning you’ll collaborate (early and often) with a product manager on each project, own the design from early mock ups through polished UI designs, and partner with engineering as your designs are built. You will also play a part in defining the long-term vision for your products, innovating on what we do and how we do it, to help differentiate our product and delight our users.
Objectives & Responsibilities
First six months
- Learn a complex business and product line that encompasses traditional TelCo and modern UCaaS products on multiple form factors and devices
- Rapidly gain an understanding of Fuze’s diverse set of customers and end users
- Get a feel for working as part of our design team, and for how we work with product and engineering
- Jump in and start creating great designs!
Six months and beyond
- Learn the wider UCaaS market, competition, and industry trends
- Align business requirements, use cases, and user needs into elegant product interfaces
- Work closely with product managers to communicate your design vision and incorporate their feedback, as well as to help drive the product strategy, roadmap, and requirements
- Collaborate with our UX Research team to learn about our users and ensure your designs are perfect for them
- Work with the engineering team as they build the final product
- Take a leadership position on the design team, mentoring other designers, evolving our design system, and guiding our process
- Be seen as a company-wide advocate for UX and as an approachable expert in all things design-related
Key Challenges and Success Factors
The defining challenge of this role is the need to take very complicated administrative tasks and concepts and make them accessible to IT administrators who, while being technically savvy in general, are not typically familiar with managing a communication and collaboration platform.
Your success will be measured in the improved engagement of users in your product, customer’s decreased reliance on our support and services team for their administrative needs, and growth of our ability to differentiate as a company that values and delivers an experience for administrators on par with our end user products.
Skills, Experience, and Characteristics
We are looking for someone who:
- Has 6+ years of experience doing top-notch product design work, with a supporting portfolio of your work
- Is comfortable with the full spectrum of design responsibilities, from initial UX wireframes, to a polished visual design
- Can work autonomously and deliver excellent work on schedule
- Can present your work and the rationale behind your decisions
- Loves to collaborate, and gives and takes design feedback expertly
- Values and incorporates user research into all phases of the design process, and is passionate about discovering and meeting the needs of the customer
- Stays on top of UX best-practices
- Is comfortable mentoring other designers, and taking the lead on design team initiatives
Great plusses (not required, but will make you stand out):
- Experience working on products designed for IT administrators
- Experience creating and maintaining a robust design system
- Experience creating illustration and/or animation for products
- Experience with data visualization and making complex data accessible to end users
**Please include a portfolio of your work with your application**