Simplisafe is looking for an Industrial Designer as we scale our Product Design team. In this role, you will help design our next generation of Simplisafe branded home security products. This role is a great opportunity to influence and contribute to a new Product Design team.
We are in the midst of an aggressive hiring plan to fill our needs as we prepare for our next steps as a company. The Product Design team is a primary focus and our Head of Product Design will be building his team from the ground up. As such, you will have an opportunity to make an immediate impact on Simplisafe’s product design and you will be in a great position to grow within the department as Simplisafe continues to expand.
Today, we are the fastest growing home security company in the country competing against the entrenched giants, like ADT, and the new-to-the-space giants, like Amazon and Google. To compete in this ever-growing IoT home automation security space, we must learn and iterate quickly, work collaboratively, and deliver creatively. In service to this challenge, we are expanding our Product Design team to produce the most cutting-edge designs on the market for our future products.
What you’ll do:
- Identify and translate user needs into design concepts
- Develop and oversee designs from start to finish
- Communicate concepts to design team, other multidisciplinary teams, and vendors
- Work across a range of different product categories, materials and manufacturing processes
- Achieve innovative and appropriate design solutions for Simplisafe home security products
What you’ll need to be successful:
- Strong visualization skills: from quick concept sketching to complete presentation sketches, 3D CAD modeling (Solidworks, Rhino, Fusion 360, or similar programs), to rendering (Keyshot, VRay, Cinema 4D, or other similar programs)
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and working closely with engineers, delivering engineering drawings and specifying CMF (colors, materials, finish)
- Excellent storytelling and narrative skills especially around your craft
- An enthusiasm for building quick prototypes
- Self-Direction towards excellent work outcomes and a comfort level in ambiguous, non-rules based environments
- Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded. You are optimistic, generative, and open to new ideas and ways of working
- A minimum of 3 years professional experience in executing design
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree in Industrial Design (or equivalent)
- Proven track record of designing products that have both physical and digital components
- Experience working in highly collaborative design teams, or other multidisciplinary teams.
*Please note: this position does require the ability to travel occasionally
Simplisafe is a home security company that is based in Boston, MA which creates and sells self-installed security systems. Our company was founded by Chad and Eleanor Laurens in 2006 when they had several friends whose homes were broken into. Chad and Eleanor started designing Simplisafe products in their own home when they realized there weren’t any solutions available on the market that were geared towards renters. From these humble beginnings, Simplisafe has become a major competitor in the home security market and was recently acquired by private equity firm Hellman & Friedman.
At Simplisafe, we place an emphasis on a ‘no-ego’, collaborative culture. From the top down, we all work together to solve the difficult challenges within the home security and IoT industry. We have recently been named in Built In Boston’s ‘Best Places to Work in 2019’ list and in Wealthfront’s ‘2019 Career Launching Companies’ list. Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If Simplisafe sounds like a company you’d enjoy working for, we’d love to hear from you!
Benefits & Perks:
Health, dental and vision coverage - We cover 85% of plans and offer excellent BCBS HMO/PPO Health plans
Unlimited paid time off - To give you the flexibility and work/life balance you seek
401k Matching and Company Equity - To help you prepare for the future
Commuter Pre-Tax Benefits - To help cover the costs of transportation and parking at our Downtown Boston HQ
Beer Fridays, Bagel Thursdays, Bi-Weekly Lunches, Team and Company Outings – We know how to have fun! Besides, who doesn’t like free food and drinks?!