Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
The Design Ops Lead will be a nurturing powerhouse who understands and cherishes the power of design. Someone that understands how to create healthy design processes that yield high-quality results with incredibly happy designers. They will know how to identify potential issues and amplify opportunities cross -functionally. They are well versed in communicating progress within the design group and to cross-functional teams. To be impactful, you will have a high commitment to equality and an admiration for Design, Engineering, and Product Management. They will be sympathetic to all three disciplines and an expert at what makes a designer’s heart beat and what they need to be successful
Our futureDesign Ops Lead will be responsible for people, process, and celebration. They will be an essential connection point for multiple cross-functional design teams distributed across the globe. They know how to advocate for the emotional nuances and needs of the team, create and codify the design process, and celebrate wins for an amplified culture.
About this roll* (Responsibilities):
- Manage the flow of product design work as it moves from design to development—plugging smoothly into our existing product development process.
- Keep the product design team in sync through communication of project status, potential overlaps, and key timelines that team members should be aware of.
- Work with individual design teams and understand how they all fit together within the product design org .
- Implement or create tools/process for scaling work
- Be the glue between design, product, user research, and engineering managers.
- Advocate for design team health and identify potential burn-out for designers and managers.
- Manage and improve our practices and how work flows through our team.
- Document and communicate process so that there is a shared understanding
- Communicate progress of design projects throughout the product org —providing visibility and predictability of design work across the organization.
- Partner with design managers as a strategy partner —to execute on larger cross functional projects 1-3 times a year.
- Constantly tweak the design process, optimizing for team collaboration and raising the design bar through shared understanding
- Standardize our on and off-boarding practices, tools and templates.
- Own vendor contracts and conversations for design tools and agencies that the team uses.
- Ensure that every designer has the tools that they need to do their job.
- Create and drive recognition and reward practices for ICs and managers throughout the design org .
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- Experience in project/program management
- Are inspired by the health and happiness of your team (and yourself)
- Communicate with radical honesty
- Are the definition of “ growth mindset ”
- Willing to become acquainted with new tools (like Figma) so that you have empathy for designers around you.
- You’ve demonstrated the ability to bring cross functional teams together
- You’ve worked on products that build community or are well versed in community building.
- You have a high bar for quality and attention to detail
*Bread puns encouraged but not required