Technical Writer, Graphics at Unity Technologies
The Documentation team at Unity is growing and we’re looking for a technical writer to join us on our mission to deliver great docs to our users. You might be an experienced technical writer who can teach us a thing or two, or a game developer with a passion for writing who is looking for their next challenge.
Whatever your background, you'll be a great technical writer at Unity if you have:
- A passion for writing, language and communication
- An understanding of technology and a natural affinity for IT
- A talent for simplifying complexity
You’ll be working on the Graphics Documentation team. We are responsible for planning, creating, and maintaining all of the documentation relating to Unity's graphics technology.
There’s no set path to becoming a good technical writer, so we’re not concerned about specific university degrees or experience; if you have the right skills, then we can teach you anything you need to know. And if you bring considerable skills and experience, then we want to learn from you too.
When you join us, you’ll work collaboratively with developers across the globe to produce great documentation that simplifies, explains, and empowers users to get the most from Unity products. This includes a mix of writing from scratch, revising draft documents supplied by developers, and overhauling legacy content.
You’ll be part of a talented, dynamic team of technical writers, content managers and information architects working across countries and timezones to support a passionate, growing community of developers and artists (around 1 million Docs visitors per month).
- Writing documentation for the Graphics development team in areas such as lighting, render pipelines, shaders, and visual effects. This includes both scripting API documentation and user manual content.
- Gathering, editing, and publishing subject-specific knowledge from subject matter experts and developers
- Improving and refining our existing documentation
- Supporting development teams to deliver high-quality technical content within a fast-paced software release schedule
- Using internal templates, standards and our in-house style guide (based on the Microsoft Writing Style Guide) to create clear and reusable content
- Helping a globally distributed team improve the documentation user experience for our amazing community
- Championing the role and importance of documentation within Unity and across the writing community
- Impeccable standard of written and spoken English
- Excellent computing skills, ideally with an understanding of C# programming, or some experience of using Unity.
- Experience working as a technical writer, or experience writing documentation. We also welcome applications from people with a technical background and a passion for writing who are looking for a new career path
- Experience writing and publishing user-facing content
- Passion for gaming or interest in the technology industry
- Games development experience, especially using Unity or C#
- Experience producing documentation using HTML/CSS, Markdown or XML
- Understanding of source control tools (e.g. github, Mercurial) and techniques
- Experience of using issue trackers such as JIRA to track project tasks
Some travel may be required between Unity offices around the world (San Francisco, Seattle, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Asia) and to some major industry events.
Who We Are
Unity is the creator of the world’s leading real-time 3D development platform, giving users the most powerful and accessible tools to create, operate, and monetize experiences for the real-time world. Unity empowers anyone, regardless of skill level and industry, to create 3D visual content using world-class technology, operate using resources that maximize ease-of-use, and monetize, so that they can find success with their creations. The company’s 1,000 person development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners such as Google, Facebook, Oculus, Autodesk, and Microsoft to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Made with Unity experiences reach nearly 3 billion devices worldwide and have been installed more than 34 billion times in the last 12 months. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.