Editor in Chief
Imagine if the New York Times and Eater had a baby: that’s what we’re building here at Toast on the content team. As the Editor in Chief, you’ll have the opportunity to bring this vision to life to transform Toast’s blog into a true media hub. You’ll have full ownership over a team that will build the tools, templates and insights that delight our industry and drive leads down the funnel.
The ideal Editor in Chief is someone who is a news junkie with an eye for great story ideas, and who has a knack for developing editing and writing talent. You’ll work with writers, designers, videographers, and PR teams to usher your own ideas, lead writers through our content development process — from pitching to publishing — and ensure that content meets Toast standards.
On a personal level, you are entrepreneurial with a mindset of building to scale. You are excited about engaging across the entire company, from C-level to Specialist, to drive business impact. You love both driving a strategic agenda and getting your hands dirty.
What you will do:
- Create and execute roadmap for blog redesign to deliver ROI on transforming blog into a true media hub.
- Manage a writing team and track deadlines and ensure team goals are met.
- Manage the editorial calendar and production of a variety of online content, including stories, infographics, video, and data visualizations.
- Actively recruit and manage relationships with a diverse range of internal and external contributors to the blog.
- Offer insight and strategy for content ideation that improves SEO and brand awareness.
- Work with PR team to capitalize on newsworthy trends, ensuring content is accurate, approved and in place on time.
- Refine content distribution strategy; segmenting messages across social, email, and digital channels to drive leads down the funnel.
- Evaluate submissions and support copy editing.
- Ensure blog content meets legal and ethical standards.
Do you have the right ingredients?
- Experience editing and writing in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience supervising and mentoring writers in a leadership role.
- In-depth knowledge of The Associated Press Stylebook and The Chicago Manual of Style.
- Familiarity with optimizing and testing different forms of content.
- Ability to recognize quality writing and edit, fact-check, proofread and revise as necessary.
- Great storyteller, ability to bring to life key trends that will impact the industry.
- Ability to operate autonomously.
- Exceptional written and oral communication abilities.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in journalism, English or writing.