Senior Manager Engineering
The Analytics Platform Engineering team is looking for a talented technical mentor and career coach to challenge a bench of talented athenistas to deliver to their highest potential. The Senior Manager will be responsible for leading Software & Data Engineers creating athena’s next generation, cloud-based Analytics Platform.
The Senior Manager will forge a close relationship with the Analytics Architect and Analytics Product Management organization to create the cutting edge Analytics platform that enables us to learn from our growing network, provide critical insight to our clients and drive intelligent decision making.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
50% People Management/Performance Management
- Work closely with the Analytics Product & Platform teams to develop a strong comprehension of goals, technologies and architecture of the Analytics Platform.
- Provide managerial oversight of delivery of multiple scrum teams.
- Set and monitor performance goals & objectives, including providing feedback through performance appraisals and day-to-day discussions.
- Determine both individual performance and team goals and ensure alignment with the overall product line goals and objectives.
- Act as an escalation point for the team and the team's performance; actively resolve team conflicts.
- Clarify roles and responsibilities for direct reports.
- Attend daily stand-ups, retrospectives, planning sessions, sprint reviews, etc. often enough to be abreast of common occurrences.
30% Driving Execution
- Maintain technical knowledge of Analytics Platform architecture, tech stack, dependencies, scale and performance.
- Provide influential connective tissue when needed by encouraging teams to utilize best practices upheld by other teams.
- Drive tri-annual release planning for teams within span of control; Contribute to the annual strategic planning process.
- Identify and manage team based risks and dependencies in partnership with product management and TPM as applicable.
- Eliminate barriers to productivity; determine strategies and tactics to help direct reports avoid distractions during sprints.
- Share the team vision and strategy to foster an understanding of the overall direction and the "why" behind decisions.
- Ensures delivery of quality releases through management of direct reports; conduct code reviews as needed.
10% Talent Development
- Hold ongoing career pathing discussions.
- Provides feedback to direct reports, on both an ad hoc and scheduled basis. Identifies strengths and development needs.
- Identify timeframe and readiness for promotion of direct reports; solicit cross functional feedback in support of promotions and employee rewards.
10% Building Effective Teams
- Interview and make final hiring decisions for roles on the Analytics Product & Platform teams.
- Participate in interview process and review candidate selection for other teams as needed.
- Advocate up the management chain in support of the accomplishments and challenges of your teams.
Education, Experience, & Skills Required:
- 6-8 years of leading teams in a technical environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent.
- Track record of developing employees both technically and professionally.
- Previous experience working in an Agile environment preferred.
- Experience in distributed systems and cloud-based architecture.
- Familiarity with Univ/Linux, Big Data, SQL, NOSQL, MPP databases, and various other technologies.
- Exposure to object oriented programing, relational database technologies, distributed computing tech (Hadoop, Spark), RESTful API, WebUI (HTML 5) and Modern JS frameworks.