VP of Sales Operations
CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG) is the largest and fastest-growing online automotive marketplace, connecting buyers and sellers of new and used cars. The company uses proprietary technology, search algorithms and data analytics to bring trust and transparency to the automotive search experience and help users find great deals from top rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert, co-founder of TripAdvisor, CarGurus is headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. In addition to the United States, CarGurus operates online marketplaces in Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy and Spain, with European headquarters in Dublin.
With over 38 million website visitors per month, CarGurus has emerged as the top automotive shopping site for consumers in the US. The company has attracted a customer base of more than 28,000 paying dealerships who achieve the highly efficient customer acquisition program CarGurus offers them. CarGurus is a $450+ million business that has been profitable for more than 8 years. The market in which CarGurus competes is large, growing, and ripe for continued disintermediation. This is a chance to join a fun, creative, and passionate group of people who are working to disrupt market that is central to the second biggest purchase a consumer makes.
CarGurus has achieved this record of astounding growth because of a talented and highly efficient sales organization. Predominantly inside-selling, the North American team of several hundred representatives based in Cambridge, MA, acquires, manages, grows and retains its customer base selling a suite of SaaS customer acquisition solutions. Additionally, field sales representatives reside in major metro markets to work with the industry’s largest companies. The teams utilize a process-driven approach, backed by technology solutions to drive continually improved and industry-leading performance
Position Overview and Key Responsibilities:
The VP of Sales Operations will be responsible for managing the processes, administration, technology and strategy for enabling the sales team to perform at maximum effectiveness. The leader will collaborate directly with the global heads of acquisition, account management and new product sales, in designing the systems to optimize growth. The leader will be counted upon to provide experience, expertise and thought leadership to execute sales territory management, compensation plans, reporting, training and processes management to govern daily operations. He/she will be supported by a team of sales operations professionals who have helped create record growth for the company. This person will work with a fast-paced and passionate group of team members who are working to disrupt multiple markets and be a part of a pioneering effort to build the next phase of tremendous growth for the company.
The VP of Sales Operations will report to the SVP of Sales and will be an essential leader in driving revenue growth, efficiency and transformational sales initiatives. The leader will provide strategic counsel and operational guidance to the sales, service and marketing executive team to improve sales effectiveness at CarGurus. The candidate will be a senior sales leader responsible for owning the processes, systems, and activities that enable the CarGurus Sales team to operate effectively. In addition, this person will bring an analytical capability that enables CarGurus to continually improve performance and drives new revenue growth. The leader will be a key member of the leadership team that takes CarGurus to the next level of business growth.
What You'll Do:
- Provide strategic leadership to design and administer all sales processes, policies and programs to drive sales effectiveness and productivity
- Design and document the standards and rules of engagement that direct how CarGurus’ sales staff engage with the customer and each other
- Build territory management, prospect processing, and sales reporting capabilities to optimize sales performance
- Relentlessly analyze the business and proactively offer insights and recommendations to the sales and executive leadership team
- Design and implement sales compensation plans that align with company objectives, motivate sales staff, and drive productive behavior
- Attract, coach, develop and retain a high-performing business team
- Collaborate with sales leaders and Learning & Development team to design sales training programs to optimize individual and team performance
- Oversee the administration of all enterprise software applications used by the sales team
- Design / evaluate / implement technology and programs to improve sales productivity
- Work with executive leaders from Marketing, Product Management, Engineering, Analytics, Finance, Corporate Development and Legal departments to development optimal sales enablement systems
Who You Are:
- Leadership experience managing Sales Operations function in fast-growing, high-transaction volume, large inside sales organizations in technology industry including consulting, sales operations, market intelligence, business strategy
- Experience in global B2B SaaS sales enablement process management, business analytics, technology and compensation management strategy
- Exceptional people leader: acquire, develop and retain top industry talent to perform beyond expectations
- Strong strategic, analytical ability and intellectual curiosity to drive performance improvement and solve business challenges
- Change management leadership ability to administrate process improvements in large scale sales operations
- Cross-functional collaboration and influence ability at senior most levels of an organization
- Team playing collaborator with highest levels of integrity
- Highly organized, but entrepreneurial with a desire to act quickly
- Strong leader—action oriented and leads from the front
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.