Director of Business Development, Strategic Partnerships at Toast
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an unrivaled commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help shape the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
The Partnerships Team is responsible for the end-to-end development and deployment of Toast’s Partnership strategy. This includes working closely with our product and platform teams to develop strategy, scoping potential partnerships and negotiating contracts, developing relationships with external and internal parties, and executing the deployment and ongoing growth of partnerships across a cross-functional team within Toast.
We are looking for a Director to run Partnerships BD; you will work alongside other leads on the Partnerships team to grow our impact on Toast. The successful candidate will have experience in building a team, creating complex business partnerships, and guiding the team to drive deep ecosystem integrations. You’ll be comfortable dealing with uncertainty, and be able to put structure to complex, unstructured product problems.
What you will do:
- Develop and execute Business Development strategy and tactics across Toast and its key products, including our fast-growing platform.
- Own Partner identification, prospecting, and negotiation end-to-end.
- Lead cross-functional team in developing new partnerships, including creative, legal, finance, product, comms, support, etc.
- Work closely with other Partnership team leads to collaborate and execute on a cohesive partnerships strategy.
- You will also work with cross-functional teams across including Product, Account Management, Sales, Marketing and International teams to identify and engage partners that enhance Toast product functionality and distribution.
- Design, implement and monitor necessary analytics to measure and optimize BD impact.
Do you have the right ingredients?
- 5+ years of experience of work experience with at least 3 years as a leader for partnerships, business development or other business-related teams.
- Leadership & general management skills, especially in setting strategy, gaining alignment, & building a strong team.
- Proven ability to develop relationships, negotiate, and problem solve with external partners.
- Demonstrated product sense and experience growing/distributing new products. Engineering experience is valuable but not required; being able to work with product teams is a non-negotiable requirement.
- Strong analytical skills – able to evaluate opportunities from strategic, brand, financial, and operational perspectives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to think and communicate creatively, thoughtfully, and on your feet with diverse technical and non-technical groups, spanning all organizational levels.
- Strategic thinker and tactical executor able to shift from big picture to detailed operations on a dime.
- Strong team player with excellent track record of success in highly matrixed, fast-paced environments with changing priorities.
- BA/BS required; Masters is a plus.