Business Development Representative
What we’re building
At Tidelift, our mission is making open source software work better—for everyone.
We see a world where software development teams get better maintained, more dependable software, and open source creators can get paid for the incredible value they create.
Tidelift is the largest provider of commercial support and maintenance for the community-led open source software behind modern applications. We partner directly with independent project maintainers to make it safer and easier to build with open source, so engineering teams can create even more incredible software, even faster.
We're well-funded and growing fast. You will play a large role in tackling challenging problems and helping build the company, while learning alongside our experienced team.
Tidelift is looking for our first few Business Development Representatives (BDR) to join our sales team. As an BDR, you will research prospective customers, execute outreach programs, and qualify potential sales opportunities while coordinating with our Account Executives.
The Tidelift BDR's role is designed to provide a challenging and rewarding environment with experienced sales and technology teams. You will also have access to a myriad of resources, from extensive training to sales acceleration tools, to help you achieve your goal. BDRs at Tidelift who excel at their role have ample opportunity for further advancement within our sales organization.
We operate a high-velocity, inside sales model. Our prospects are primarily engineering leaders at companies ranging in size from 5000 employees and up. Our product is not overly complicated, but our audience is very technical. Familiarity with the software development life-cycle and the day-to-day job of a software developer or team manager will be to your advantage.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Sourcing leads to establish and maintain a pipeline of potential sales opportunities
- Prospecting into both inbound and outbound sales leads
- Qualifying leads and developing them into opportunities
- Mapping out and coordinating meetings with stakeholders within an organization
A great potential BDR will:
- Understand the tasks required of a Sales Development Representative
- Demonstrate the ability to turn coaching into action quickly and precisely
- Show a strong desire for sales in the past or through analog experiences
- Posses the energy to keep up with a fast-paced, early-stage, technology company
- Be process-driven, and carry a metrics-first mentality
Our team and our values
We’re trying to build a healthy, values-driven culture. We want to be:
- Optimistic: We see an amazing future ahead, and want to inspire others to share in it. This is both internal—building each other up and looking for the best in people—and external—we know open source is awesome, and we want to make it even better.
- Practical: We know words and ideas alone won’t change lives. We help people most by creating a pragmatic, viable, and sustainable business that works for everyone. So we care about usability, design, and honest assessment of costs and benefits.
- Additive: We want an environment that encourages and inspires growth, both for individuals and for the open source community as a whole. That means embracing a growth mindset, and valuing culture add over culture fit.
- Inclusive: We believe technology will be stronger when it better reflects the voices and ideas of society as a whole. So we want people from different backgrounds and experiences to not just be represented, but to be heard, valued, and flourish. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment.
In this role, you would work from one our HQ in Boston, MA.
We believe in the urgency of our mission and the importance of doing good work, but also know this is a marathon and not a sprint. Hours can be flexible within reason if necessary to meet personal needs (like child, medical, or elder care).
Compensation, benefits, and career
Compensation is competitive with other Boston-area startups, including health insurance, flexible vacation, 401(k), short-term disability, parental leave, and equity. This position offers a base salary and commission.
We invest in every employee’s growth, and support professional development that aligns with your goals and how you learn best.