Program Manager, Degree Programs
We’re seeking people who share our passion for transforming how education is delivered.
At edX, a Cambridge-based non-profit, our mission is to offer a world-class education to everyone, everywhere, allowing them to gain the in-demand skills and knowledge that will lead to fulfilling careers and lifelong success. Today, edX provides more than 19 million people access to education from the best universities and institutions in the world, including Harvard, MIT, Oxford, and UC Berkeley. EdX provides inspirational and transformative knowledge to students of all ages, social status, and income, worldwide. Starting in 2017, we furthered this mission by offering accredited online Masters degrees providing a more convenient, lower-cost, “stackable” means of earning credentials towards a full degree.
Under the supervision of the Senior Director, Degree Programs, the Program Manager, Degree Programs at edX is an operations professional responsible for the launch and successful execution of university degree programs offered on edX.org. This is a new position for edX so you will be instrumental in fully defining the role. The Program Manager advises institutional leadership, institutional and program-level marketing, and program course faculty and production teams in best practices to create impactful online programs on the edX platform and drive results for edX, partners, and learners. The Program Manager collaborates across edX teams and functions to execute against program strategy, drive operations to meet ambitious enrollment, retention, and satisfaction targets, and monitor and support the reporting and communication of performance.
The ideal candidate will have on-the-ground experience with online degree programs for a university or third-party online program manager (OPM). The candidate should be highly motivated, intellectually curious, and demonstrate the ability to solve complex problems, create processes, and navigate a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment. The successful Program Manager brings a unique balance of business acumen, situational fluency in higher education environments, customer centricity, project management skills, and a consultative mindset.
- Provide overall operations management of a portfolio of online degree programs on edX.org, serving as the primary point of contact for your portfolio of partners and for internal support team at edX
- Monitor and manage program performance against the model and against ambitious enrollment, retention, and satisfaction targets
- Consult with partner institution teams on most effective design and delivery of credit-bearing education and learner support at scale
- Manage revenue and cost flows with partners and internally for portfolio of programs
- Collaborate effectively with internal functional teams (e.g., Marketing, Product)
- Align internal and external efforts to deliver an exceptional student experience
- Develop and improve business processes internally and as part of a community of practice with partner institutions
- Act as the voice of the partner and learner, advocating for product enhancements and policies which reduce friction in the degree experience, while balancing them against edX’s interests and objectives
Qualifications & Skills:
- 7-10 years of professional experience with 3-5 years of experience in managing online higher education or related academic programming
- Superb project management and organizational skills, including multiple / complex stakeholder management (internal and external) and competing priorities
- Excellent analytical skills and experience in Excel or other analytical software
- Proven success against ambitious targets
- Thrives in a fast-paced, start-up work environment, accepting of change and comfortable with ambiguity
- Strong attention to detail, deadlines, and quality of delivery
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Comfort moving between management of senior stakeholder communication and more tactical operations
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in business and academe
- Ability to identify and troubleshoot potential issues before they arise
- Positive team player with a roll up your sleeves, client / customer-first attitude
- Additional experience in consulting or professional services
- Master’s degree; MBA is a plus
This is an individual contributor role where a high degree of both self-direction and team collaboration expected. Some travel required.
Applicants must be able to work out of our Cambridge, MA office. Sorry, Visa sponsorship is not available.