Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Toast is building out a New Ventures business unit with the goal of researching, developing, and eventually scaling a new generation of products and business lines that can have a substantial impact on Toast’s long-term growth. In this unique role, the New Ventures Technology Lead will own a key initiative and be a key driver of long-term strategic decision making and innovation at the highest levels of the company. The ideal candidate knows both how to lead teams to build new technology businesses from scratch, and how to drive cross-functional alignment on innovation across large organizations.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Responsible for sourcing, developing, and scaling a new business line that can have a substantial impact on Toast’s long-term growth
- Collaborate with a product lead to perform market research and competitive analysis.
- Become the technology owner of your product, taking responsibility for the architecture, technical design, and development.
- Recruit highly talented intrapreneurs to the New Ventures program and mentor them to build new products and businesses.
- Embrace “One Team” mentality and collaborate frequently and openly with functional leaders across Toast to ensure strategic alignment on New Ventures initiatives
- Define OKRs with the team while tracking progress against them regularly, and communicate plans and progress to cross-functional partners.
- Work with the GM of New Ventures to make decisions on funding, scaling, shutting down, and spinning off New Ventures initiatives
- Accountability for entire technology effort and leadership of a New Ventures product line
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies and their ability to impact the success of executing on your product line.
- Manage, measure and report on the required effort, quality, and scope to develop New Ventures projects to the appropriate stakeholders
- Over time, build, lead, inspire and engage a high-performing entrepreneurial team focused on driving results
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- 7+ years of technology, architecture, or engineering management experience.
- Experience with Java, React, and AWS
- Experience in a start-up environment and/or a rapidly growing tech organization
- A hands-on mentality and willingness to remove obstacles for team members, while also creating connective tissue with centralized functions
- Track record of proven leadership and accountability, meeting or exceeding objectives, while taking products from inception to launch
- Ability to estimate and deliver on the product vision and roadmap with confidence in feasibility, time, cost and impact
- Experience collaborating with internal/external stakeholders and investors
- Strong attention to detail with ability to manage expectations at both an Executive and cross-functional level
- Exceptional people skills and demonstrated experience building rapport and driving consensus
- Successful past growing and fostering an inclusive culture of high-performing teams
Special Sauce* (Nonessential Skills/Nice to Haves)
- Prior co-founder or early-stage experience
*Bread puns encouraged but not required