Nuance is the pioneer and leader in conversational artificial intelligence (AI) innovations that bring intelligence to everyday work and life. We deliver solutions that understand, analyze, and respond to people, amplifying human intelligence to increase productivity and improve security. With decades of both domain and AI expertise, we work with thousands of organizations across a wide range of industries.
Check out our team Life at Nuance!
Join our team! At Nuance, we are constantly reinventing how people connect with technology and with each other. Our AI-powered solutions empower organizations to transform “business as usual.” For decades, the world’s leading financial, healthcare, telecommunications, retailers, and government organizations have trusted Nuance to bring them award-winning solutions that deliver more meaningful outcomes and empower a smarter, more connected world. From clinical speech recognition technologies that free physicians to spend more time caring for patients to real-time intelligence that powers billions of customer interactions, we’re deeply committed to helping organizations push the boundaries of what’s possible.
The Product Owner is a critical leader for the product delivery team at Nuance Healthcare. They are responsible for defining user stories and prioritizing the team backlog. Though they belong to the Product Management function, they are collocated with (or within the timezone of) their scrum team(s), for which they will serve as the “customer proxy” to define and prioritize stories in the team backlog. They will work closely with the Chief Product Owner, who is responsible for managing the program backlog; interfacing with the customer; and identifying market needs.
Nuance’s Ambient Clinical Intelligence (ACI) business provides technology-based clinical information capture and documentation solutions for physicians to take care of their patients more effectively and efficiently. Our solutions change the lives of doctors and patients, and our close-knit team is dedicated to a mission of making healthcare more functional and efficient.
- Be deeply connected with the customer
- Be deeply connected to the team(s), accountable for creating and refining a prioritized product backlog
- Lead cross-functional and cross-divisional coordination for the successful market analysis, design, development, delivery, documentation, training, launch, sales, service, integration, support, and customer adoption of a provider-facing solution leveraging AI-generated documentation content
- Maximize the business value delivered by the team
- Be reliable, consistent, and available
- Make decisions about the product vision, and the outcomes that drive that vision
- Be knowledgeable about the Healthcare domain, clearly articulating what needs to be done to produce true and meaningful business value
- Validate that the story meets acceptance criteria, and that it otherwise complies with the team’s Definition of Done (DoD)
- Collaborate with the Dev Team to help prioritize the stability work associated with each release
- Actively participate in scrum ceremonies, as advised by the scrum master
- Manage and advise supporting or adjacent Product Owners and dedicated clinical product research support group
- With Product Owners, understand customer needs, prioritize the backlog, write and groom user stories, seek clarification and insights from users, write acceptance criteria, accept user stories, and validate results with clients, all to achieve the product release goals
- Establish and build relationships with leading clinical and technical groups and stakeholders
- Support efficient work practices: Be an active participant in Agile ceremonies (release planning, scrum meetings, sprint retrospectives) and program meetings; work effectively in a matrix environment to drive collaboration and results with multiple teams; leverage IT tools effectively (JIRA, Confluence, Teams, git repositories, etc.)
- Monitor and integrate customer feedback: Manage the processes to address escaped product defects and enhancement requests
- Thrive in an environment where you are frequently required to respond and adapt to change instead of following a plan
Requirements for the role:
- Strong Scrum experience, and strong User Story writing skills (3 years)
- Experience in a Product Owner role in a highly complex, dynamic, and constantly changing environment (3 years)
- Experience “straddling the fence” between Engineering and Product Management
- Experience in high-visibility, client or customer facing roles
- Experience defining customer needs, prioritizing those needs as well-defined requirements, then writing specific & clear user stories from those requirements
- Experience working closely with Dev Teams, with a strong aptitude for translating business speak into technical speak and vice versa
- Solid technical background with understanding of or hands-on experience in software development and web technologies
- Scrum certification is a plus, but the experience is more important (Training will be provided for strong candidates who lack this requirement)
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills (local language proficiency for PO’s located outside of U.S.)
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the U.S. - max of 20% travel.
- Advanced degree or coursework (multidisciplinary preferred: technical + business / clinical)
- Familiarity with health care industry and health care technology
- Familiarity with enterprise software platforms and/or EHRs
- Familiarity with artificial intelligence and related or supporting technologies including machine learning, expert systems, natural language processing, and automatic speech recognition
- Experience with customer-facing engagement including documentation, exploratory meetings, observations, presentations, demonstrations, and product validations
- Familiarity with principles of design thinking for product development
Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.
Nuance celebrates diversity and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action workplace. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, military and veteran status, disability, genetics, or any other category protected by law or Nuance policy. If you need an accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 781-565-5086 and let us know.