International Product Manager
Hopper is the smart way to book travel on your phone. Combining massive amounts of data and advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper predicts and analyzes airfare and accommodations to save users money and enable them to travel more often.
Since its launch in 2015, Hopper has become one of the fastest growing travel apps ever with over 25 million installs to date. It is now the most downloaded flights booking app in North America and travelers have booked hundreds of millions of dollars in flights and hotels around the world using Hopper. Having grown the business by triple digits over the last six months, we plan to continue this strong growth for the years to come on our way becoming the world’s dominant travel booking destination.
The app has received accolades such as Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company in Travel 2018, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016, and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
Hopper has millions of monthly users that book tens of millions of dollars in flights every month, primarily from North American origins. One of our major company-wide initiatives over the next several years is international expansion, and we need an exceptional, multi-faceted product manager to work cross-functionally to grow our presence proportionally across at least the top 45 world economies. Some of the problems the right candidate will lead or help solve are:
- How do we manage internationalization to scalably localize our apps in every market?
- How do we speed up product development (not slow it down) once our apps are internationalized?
- How do we scalably localize to 26+ languages over the next 18 months?
- What languages and locale-based dialects do we prioritize, and why?
- How do the product and localization teams work together?
- Which payment and booking methods do we prioritize for which markets?
- How do we prioritize solving problems for different local markets?
In this role, you will:
- Define a world-class approach to international product development for Hopper
- Exhibit end-to-end ownership of the international product roadmap
- Combine internal product and business data with external competitive and market data to define how we will most effectively and sustainably grow internationally
- Be the go-to expert on the nuances and differences in how people book travel all over the world
- Determine priorities for localization and provide seamless tools for our localization team to execute against our ongoing language localization strategy
- Work closely with stakeholders in Hopper offices globally, understanding and proposing solutions to conversion, revenue, and supply challenges in each and every local market
- Balance the strategic direction of our international expansion efforts while also directing the day-to-day details and timelines of what features and internal tools we’re building to execute against this strategy
A highly qualified candidate has:
- At least 2-4 years’ experience in relevant consumer software, product management, or international business roles
- Competence and understanding of software product development (experience working with technical teams is preferred)
- Passion for being involved in the big picture, while fearlessly diving into the details
- Adaptable attitude; comfortable with a fast-paced, quickly evolving market, product, and organization
- Sound judgment; makes product decisions based on best available qualitative and quantitative user feedback, and creates data where it hadn’t previously existed
- No ego; the focus is always on getting as quickly as possible to the best approach and doing what is right for the customer and the company
- World-class self-awareness; the right candidate has a strong understanding of their surroundings, knows where they can be most successful, isn’t afraid to be vulnerable and ask questions, and leverages their resources to bridge the gaps
- The ability to be proactive, propose new ideas, and persuade colleagues through narrative
- A unique perspective based on their own unique experiences
- A great track record for producing results in fast-paced, uncertain working environments (startup experience is a plus)
Sound like a fit? We can’t wait to hear from you.
- Well-funded and proven startup with larger ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
- Access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, all on us
- In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artist’s loft in the Mile End
- Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or paid parking
- IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
- Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and healthy snacks
- Team lunches, off-site activities and much more!