Director of Market Insights
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an unrivaled commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help shape the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
The Toast Product Marketing team is responsible for understanding the restaurant market and competitive landscape and bringing to life the value, differentiation and proof points of our offering.
In this role you will be responsible for building and managing a team that is hyper-focused on the market we serve and the competitors we face here at Toast. Working closely with our senior leadership team, you will design programs focused on understanding our market and the competitors we face at a granular level. The ideal candidate enjoys playing a significant role in setting company strategy, has a proven track record uncovering market insights, enjoys beating the competition, and developing talent.
If you’re a data-driven market researcher with strong communication skills and a “get stuff done” attitude, read on!
What you'll do:
- Be the market expert on the restaurant industry and technology landscape; actively shadow sales teams, interview clients, prospective clients, partners, and industry influencers
- Manage of team of 1-2 full time employees and efficiently manage external vendors and resources including market research firms, technology tools and teams of MBA students and/or interns
- Develop and executive quantitative market research surveys and qualitative market studies to the standard of top tier consulting and private equity firms
- Deeply understand the buyer’s persona, conducting competitive and win/loss analyses
- Develop a deep understanding of our competitors - get out of the office, see their products in action, tear down public statements and financials, do interviews and get the on-the-ground truth
- Unearth insights into buyer needs and market opportunities to influence company strategy and product roadmap, including corporate development activities
- Develop and deliver market insights and recommendations to cross-functional team members and executive leadership in order to gain alignment on priorities and strategic direction
- Understand market dynamics around price and make recommendations for pricing and commercialization strategies and co-design price tests, evaluate results, and make clear recommendations
Do you have the right ingredients?:
- BA/BS required, MBA strongly preferred
- 7+ years work experience in product marketing, product management, consulting or banking; top tier consulting experience strongly preferred
- Strong analytical skills and experience with market research and data analysis
- Advanced knowledge of syndicated market intelligence sources, marketing research methodologies, and analytics
- Deeply curious about our market, competitors and customers
- Ability to lead cross functional teams
- Highly collaborative mindset; experienced at working cross-functionally to drive results
- Ability to act as a positive, self-motivated leader who can inspire others to rise to new challenges
- Strong writer, presenter, and verbal communicator: ability to build strong, compelling story lines and recommendations that are deeply evidenced in both quant and qual research to move leadership to action
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships across a rapidly growing organization;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail to ensure tight deadlines are met both internally and externally
- Interest and passion for startups, tech, and restaurants