Hometap empowers current and prospective homeowners to access their home's equity without the burden of debt. Our first product allows homeowners to tap into the built-in value of their home to do the big-ticket stuff that makes life better: start a business, renovate their home, get out from under crippling debt, pay for college tuition, or help family members.
We’re on a mission to make homeownership less stressful and more accessible by treating homeowners like CEOs of their household, and to make home equity investing as common as borrowing to finance a home is today. We also aspire to build a long-lasting, durable financial technology company that makes a positive mark on the Boston economy and beyond.
Hometap makes investments in homes, buying an equity stake against the home’s future value. For homeowners, this is a simplified, sensible alternative to mortgage debt and monthly payments. For investors, this is a new asset class, allowing them to participate in the multi-trillion-dollar residential real estate market without the obligations and downsides of homeownership. We’re scaling rapidly and we have begun expanding our platform to support forthcoming products, complex data science-driven pricing, and investment structure permutations. Our solution leverages advanced data and analytics as we create best-in-class experiences for our homeowners as well as our business and asset capital partners.
Who You Are:
We are seeking dedicated, detail-oriented team members with a passion for real estate. In this role, you’ll play a critical role in the investment process, making recommendations on both the homes and homeowners with whom we are working. We are constantly looking to improve our portfolio performance with our investments. The underwriting team analyzes and digests a broad set of home and homeowner information to assess the risk profile of applications. Underwriters on the team make investment recommendations to the Investment Committee and CEO.
What You’ll Do:
- Verify applicant information and assess applicant risk level against a set of underwriting criteria
- Collaborate with cross-functional team of sales, risk, and legal when more information is required
- Work closely with Application Specialists and Investment Managers to quickly and accurately process homeowner applications
- Make investment recommendations to management
- Flag applications for potential concerns with regard to application completeness or high-risk applicants
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in business, finance or a related field
- Eager to join an early-stage tech company, interested in real estate, interested in fintech
- Strong client service skills
- Ability to communicate professionally with others
- Proactive approach to daily work and ability to handle multiple responsibilities
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure within a deadline-oriented environment
- Comfortable working with leaders in finance and legal to escalate potential gray areas
- Ability to think critically and make recommendations based on a rules rubrics
- Strong proofreading/fact-checking skills
- Extraordinary attention-to-detail
- Prior experience in underwriting preferred