Senior Manager of Site Reliability and Observability at CarGurus
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms, and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation, and vehicle history.
CarGurus is looking for a Site Reliability and Observability leader focused on 1) Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) 2) Observability and 3) Database-as-a-Service (DBaaS). Reporting to the VP of Platform Engineering and working closely with Engineering peers.
As a senior manager, you are responsible for the overall reliability and availability of our core product and surrounding applications running in our on-prem and cloud production environments (AWS, Kubernetes). You’ll own and develop our SRE tactics, observability tools, and services, directly engage with the rest of the Platform, Data, and Product Engineering teams to improve uptime, reliability, and resiliency of our application stack. You’ll also own the building of self-service tooling and automation to supervise the health of our applications and infrastructure and build a productive environment for other engineers.
What you’ll do?
- Lead multiple teams including Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Observability(o11y), and Database as a Service (DBaaS).
- Advance Site Reliability Engineering as a practice across Engineering especially during the transition from a monolith to microservices.
- Be passionate about growing careers and mentoring engineers across both the individual contributor and manager tracks.
- Use Agile scrum to deliver on the team’s commitments and strengthen the team's velocity over time.
- Guide the team on standard methodologies as they deliver on their goals around distributed tracing
- Work with the team to set quarterly departmental goals and metrics for the team.
- Coach, mentor, train and develop a growing engineering team. Engineers feel motivated when they feel like they are valued, delivering and learning. Help make that happen.
Who you are?
- Previous experience leading/running multiple teams of SRE and/or observability engineers.
- Strong practitioner of Agile scrum methodology and ability to mentor the team on best practices as and when needed.
- Making sure there is organization-wide alignment on SRE practices across C-level executives as well as various engineering leaders.
- Experience driving metrics for the organization
- Experience with affecting change and establishing standard methodologies where needed.
- Broad exposure in SRE, o11y and DB tools such as Prometheus, grafana, alertmanager, honeycomb, Graylog, MySQL, clusterControl, opsGenie, Looker
- You're comfortable talking about SLOs, SLIs SLAs, incident management, and building a culture of reliability. You have empathy for our customers and our engineers who use our systems and are eager to make improvements for them.
- Experience navigation an organization and evolving the teams as we transition from a hybrid / on-prem set up to be fully cloud-based, from monolith to microservices.
- Ability to translate broad company strategies into clear, specific objectives and impactful plans.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
CarGurus employees in the US can choose to work from home / remotely for the duration of 2021, or participate in a phased return to our beautiful office spaces. We expect most roles to be in-office at least 3 days a week beginning January 2022. In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.