Senior Manager, Corporate Development
TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel community, enables travelers to unleash the full potential of every trip. With over 570 million reviews and opinions covering the world’s largest selection of travel listings worldwide --- covering 7.3 million accommodations, airlines, attractions, and restaurants ---TripAdvisor provides travelers with the wisdom of the crowds to help them decide where to stay, how to fly, what to do and where to eat. TripAdvisor also compares prices from more than 200 hotel booking sites so travelers can find the lowest price on the hotel that’s right for them. TripAdvisor-branded sites are available in 49 markets, and are home to the world’s largest travel community of 455 million average monthly unique visitors, all looking to get the most out of every trip.
With a trusted global brand, unmatched content and community, global leadership in Restaurants and Experiences, and a new focus on Customer Experience, TripAdvisor has repositioned itself for growth. Complementing this is the company’s strong balance sheet and desire to grow inorganically, building off of an active history of M&A.
The mission of the Corporate Development & Strategy team is to catalyze this great opportunity. To accelerate the growth of the biggest online destination in travel, be an agent of change and innovation throughout the organization and contribute meaningfully to TripAdvisor’s corporate strategy.
The Corporate Development & Strategy team’s responsibility is global in scope and spans all product lines and business units, making the team an interesting, challenging and valuable place to be within TripAdvisor. We are a small group of highly skilled, ambitious team players with diverse experience and a passion for making the best traveler experience globally.
The Sr. Manager of Corporate Development & Strategy will further this mission by supporting opportunities that drive significant improvements to TripAdvisor’s business - whether financial, customer, market or product-oriented. At its core, the role involves growth idea generation, opportunity sourcing, business case development, diligence process leadership and integration support. More broadly, the Sr. Mgr. will be a trusted partner to our business units while driving best practices and world-class processes. Externally, the Sr. Mgr. will interact directly with target company management in addition to entrepreneurs, investment banks, and other investors.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Develop a detailed understanding of TripAdvisor’s business and customers well as the online travel market, ecosystem of players, business models and key innovation areas
- Partner closely with BU and TripAdvisor senior leadership to develop business and product strategies, guide build / buy / partner decisions and identify M&A opportunities; in addition to being a thought leader around “out of the box opportunities”
- Leverage personal, company and industry networks/contacts to proactively identify and engage prospective targets
- Efficiently qualify partner / buy opportunities considering corporate strategy, product & financial requirements
- Build and deliver highly compelling business cases and rationale for opportunities to gain organizational support and resourcing
- Support M&A initiatives holistically from idea through integration/launch and organize projects and lead cross-functional teams supporting M&A initiatives
- Help drive prioritization of opportunities and bring in new corporate and business development best practices and processes to make TripAdvisor’s M&A capability world class
- Maintain and share knowledge of global market conditions, competition, and opportunities
Additionally, you will possess the following characteristics:
- A very high degree of integrity, trustworthiness and corporate responsibility
- Strong analytical capabilities in terms of building P&Ls, valuation methodologies, deal structuring, and advanced business modelling using MBA-level financial / valuation analysis and key internet, mobile, commerce and media analytics
- Clear, credible and convincing communications ability to a wide variety of audiences, through both verbal, written and graphical means
- A strong ROI focus and business judgment; support positions with solid rationale backed by evidence and data
- Curiosity, creativity and ability to see value by combining assets, capabilities
- Determination, resilience, positivity in the face of obstacles or challenges and execute with grace
- A proven team player; participation and achievement in team-based sports / activities a strong plus
And desired background:
- 5+ years of experience in corporate M&A, a private equity firm or top tier investment bank. Strategic business development or similar commercial deal experience a plus, as is product management or marketing experience/exposure
- Experience should be in information technology sector, ideally in (consumer-facing) advertising and / or ecommerce-based companies, with deals spanning opportunities in new market entry, new revenue sources, product/tech capabilities and user growth
- BS/BA required, MBA from top school highly desirable