DUST Identity is looking for an Operations Engineer to join our fast-paced and close-knit team in Framingham, MA.
DUST Identity is a physical object security solution that uses nano-diamonds to securely tag physical objects so they are uniquely identifiable. Enabled by the development of new materials, cutting edge hardware, and exciting machine vision, DUST’s customers can ensure that every physical object - whether an airplane part, microprocessor, or priceless artifact - is genuine.
DUST aims to become the industry standard for physical object identification and security.About the Position
Start Date: Immediately.
Eligibility: Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Location: Framingham, MA
Compensation: Market Competitive + Equity
- A full suite of traditional benefits
- Flexible vacation
- Free on-site parking
As an Operations Engineer, you will be a key part of growing the engineering and company culture from an early stage. Day-to-day, you’ll work as part of an interdisciplinary team to develop, test, and deploy DUST Identity’s hardware and diamond materials into a broad range of applications. You will create and evaluate the effectiveness of methods for applying diamond particle - “DUST” - tags. You will also assess the physical and functional performance of the materials to ensure that DUST will withstand the environmental conditions specific to the customer’s application. A candidate must have demonstrated experience in developing and following protocols, and documentation of test results.
You will also be an integral part of the hardware team, helping to design, develop, and test hardware, including working with manufacturers.
The Operations Engineer is instrumental in our product and process development for incorporating DUST into a wide variety of products - aircraft parts, electronic components, luxury goods, and much more. If you are excited about the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, innovative startup, and developing tagging techniques that will be used on millions of products, then this is the place for you!What You'll DoProduce Customer-Driven Technical Assessments:
- Perform supervised technical assessments of DUST, consisting of applying materials and evaluating adhesion, readability, and environmental durability
- Help design, develop and build test rigs, fixtures
- Collaborate hands-on to develop new methods and equipment for incorporating DUST into a wide range of products
- Assist in preparing technical reports for customer-driven engagements
- Maintain detailed and accurate experimental records
- Procure components, assemble and test DUST Identity hardware
- Operate equipment such as 3D printers, laser cutters, and spray guns
- Provide the team with CAD, GD&T, and supervised design
- Keep labs organized, clean, and ensure routine equipment maintenance.
- Support inventory tracking of lab supplies, raw materials, and finished goods
- Co-develop and follow SOPs; document all activities.
- Proactively evaluate and recommend future equipment needs for the lab
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or materials science.
- Hands-on experience with any of the following: electronics assembly, application of adhesives or coatings, solution formulation, microscopy, CAD or GD&T
- High level of written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated commitment to quality output in a testing laboratory, R&D, or manufacturing setting.
- Attention to detail and documentation of procedures.
- Creativity, curiosity, and a desire to solve problems.
- Basic knowledge of and commitment to safe laboratory practices
- Experience working in a dynamic, customer-driven environment.
- Quality control experience
- Knowledge of material properties and characterization.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The employee may stand or walk for extended periods, and will occasionally be required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee may occasionally have to perform repetitive motions.
- The employee must frequently stand, climb, lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- All necessary PPE will be provided.