Facilities and Real Estate Operations Director at CarGurus
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work’s made a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US, and we’re expanding globally. Ready to come along for the ride?
CarGurus is seeking a Facilities and Real Estate Operations Director to join us in Cambridge, MA. In this role, you will provide strategic direction to the global real estate and facility strategy to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of workplace solutions for CarGurus. You will report to the VP of Finance and Accounting and will lead a team of three members as well as all external partners on a global basis. In your role you will lead the strategic execution of a major multi-million-dollar development project for CarGurus with the construction of a new Corporate Headquarter located in Boston. The project will include a high-rise commercial office building, hotel and public park and plaza, all with easy access to public transportation. CarGurus will be the anchor tenant occupying the top eleven floors of the new twenty-story sustainable office building, which we will custom design to optimize collaboration and reflect the Company’s brand and culture.
What You'll Do:
- Develop effective business unit (BU) relationships to define business and enterprise strategies and requirements
- Ensure alignment of the real estate and facility strategy with optimal business use and growth
- Lead business-case development and scenario modeling to enable enterprise-wide strategy
- Support mergers and acquisition transactions with analysis, integration planning, and due diligence process
- Drive facilities project management including the selection and coordination of lunch providers while driving economies of scale across of CarGurus’ offices.
- Examine relevant benchmarking, rationalize, and regularly report real estate metrics
- Work with HR & Finance on headcount pipeline reviews to ensure forward-looking decision making
- Maintain a capital improvement schedule, in partnership with the IT, HR, finance and BU teams
- Prepare and present business cases to the appropriate governance and executive committees
- Coordinate real estate delivery projects to establish deadlines, assign responsibilities, monitor, and summarize progress of each aspect of all assigned workplace projects
- Collaborate as a subject matter expert with multiple business partners to guide compliance and timely delivery of projects
- Lead all aspects of the efforts of various outside design, construction, and service disciplines in the design, costing, alteration at various facilities
- Lead a performance culture that selects the appropriate metrics to uplift talent development and builds a culture of continuous improvement and productivity
- Build customer relationships and act as a trusted advisor to the leadership team members, business units and regional leaders to align the real estate and facilities’ strategy with the business strategy
- Facilitate logistics for internal office moves and future space planning
Who You Are:
- Excellent communication and listening skills, able to translate needs into requirements
- Experience leading a global team of internal and external associates
- BS degree in real estate, construction management, finance, architecture or related field; MBA or related graduate degree, or comparable career experience is a plus
- 10+ years of global business experience with increasing responsibility and strategic planning
- Extensive experience in commercial lease contract negotiations and lease accounting
- Ability to assess construction systems, building design, space and cost efficiency
- Experience in planning and implementing large and small real estate transactions in global markets
- Experience in planning and negotiating the capital and operating expense aspects of projects
- Proven grounding in technology and how it helps identify metrics and it can aid decision making
- Ability to adapt to change in priorities and direction in a quick-paced environment
- Experience leading facilities projects including coordinating food providers and handling RFP and process selection with vendors
- Willingness to travel up to 20%
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, Germany, Spain, Italy, and the UK—with other markets on the horizon. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.