Director, Real Estate and Facilities at CarGurus
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US and we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
CarGurus is seeking a Director, Facility Operations and Real Estate to join us in Cambridge, MA! The position reports to the VP of Finance and Accounting and leads a direct report team of three office managers located in Cambridge as well as all external partners globally. In this role, you will be called upon to provide innovative and strategic leadership for all aspects of CarGurus facilities, real estate and operations, including facilities management, space planning and design, capital planning, construction management, security operations, real estate, and environmental health and safety for all US based offices and location in MA, SF, Dublin Ireland and San Francisco.
The role requires deep expertise in facilities, support services, operations management and procurement strategy. It also involves vendor management with brokers, landlords, building management teams, and various industry professionals. The position requires a cross functional approach working closely with HR, Legal, External Communications and the Finance teams to ensure the critical connection between facilities, the business strategy and employee experience is consistent with the company’s vision and goals. The role will drive and oversea the strategic execution of the highly transparent new CarGurus Corporate Headquarters located in Boston working with various partners both internal and external.What You'll Do:Facility Operations
- Manage a staff of 3 supporting the daily operations of 6 office spaces of various sizes with locations in Cambridge, Dublin the UK and San Francisco
- Develop Real Estate and Support Services policies and procedures
- Be responsible for all aspects of space planning and design.
- Space analysis, planning and design, project management, and construction
- Capital planning and management of the annual facilities capital budget
- Create and implement policies to ensure the physical safety of all property and assets owned by CarGurus.
- Oversee administration and operation of the organization’s security equipment
- Operations planning and management of the annual facilities operations budget
- Work cross functionally with Finance, HR, Legal and External Communication teams to align on corporate messaging and initiatives
- Provide leadership in developing a global FREO strategy for the company and coordinate the efforts of the FREO team
- Facilitate logistics for adds, moves and changes
- Work closely with the Return to Office teams to develop, lead and implement a FREO RTO plan
- Lease negotiations
- Real estate acquisitions
- Landlord and property management coordination and relationships
- Broker relationships
- Subtenant coordination and agreements
- Site and financial analysis
- Occupancy activities for short- and long-term space requirements and strategize on future real estate requirements
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills coupled with the ability to interact with a broad range of CarGurus leaders
- Strong analytical capability combined with critical thinking.
- Experience working as a strategic partner while also carrying out day to day tactical responsibilities
- Proven negotiating skills, specifically lease and contract negotiations
- 10+ years of experience in Corporate Facilities and Operations
- Extensive Experience in owning the facilities and operation functions in a fast paced, thriving company.
- Experience in commercial lease contract negotiations; lease accounting experience a plus
- Experience in planning and implementing large and small real estate transactions in global markets
- Ability to quickly adjust priorities, adapt and change directions in a fast-paced environment
- Experience leading facilities operations including coordinating food providers, managing building maintenance contracts, and conducting an RFP process and vendor selection
- Understanding of legal climate that may impact site strategy, including local state and regional employment laws
- Thorough understanding of applicable federal, state and local regulations related to environmental health and safety, risk management, and global business continuity
- Willingness to travel to international locations
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada and the UK. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.