Director, Portfolio Management
Indigo improves grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health through the use of natural microbiology and digital technologies. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes and agronomic insights, Indigo works with growers to sustainably produce high quality harvests. The company then connects growers and buyers directly to bring these harvests to market. Working across the supply chain, Indigo is forwarding its mission of harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
- Create and manage end-to-end portfolio view of our microbial pipeline including scientific and business data to update senior leadership and our board. Create a framework and portfolio view for R&D investments and consolidate investment information into one single source.
- Create transparency around investments to CEO, CIO, and Board of Directors to create accuracy to budget in collaboration with the Finance team.
- Pipeline progress and industry benchmarking data, identifies trends, risks and gaps. In collaboration with R&D and Crop Product Management stakeholders develops specific strategies to enhance/optimize Company’s pipeline. Takes on special initiatives to increase portfolio maturity in the organization.
- Partners directly with senior leaders and the Project Management team to ensure preparation, implementation and follow-up of scientific and pipeline-related decisions and actions. Manages team of colleagues within R&D Project and Portfolio Management to ensure portfolio strategy, portfolio prioritization, crop strategies, and communication is aligned.
- Develop program/project budgeting, risk assessment and resource management methods, tooling, and procedure which provides value-added decision support.
- Leads strategic initiatives to improve portfolio linkage as well as develop mechanisms to effectively respond to internal strategic imperatives and changing business dynamics.
- Conducts workshops to assess organizational needs for project and portfolio management.
- Partners closely with R&D, Crop Product Management and Finance to develop cross functional portfolio assessments, including scenarios and trade offs; collaborates with R&D Sr. Leaders on RDLT and R&D business support (HR, Finance) to ensure business led decisions, harmonized execution, and resource allocation in the portfolio.
- Identifies “what great looks like” and builds a highly talented team to drive successful integration of objectives. Coaches crop teams as related to scenario planning and decision analysis and provides strategic guidance.
- Supports team with 5 year business plan and budgeting activities by aggregating and synthesizing organizational KPIs.
- Develop and track R&D organizational KPIs and benchmark performance against those.
- Understands and embodies our mission & core values.
- Able to be a thought partner to various cross-functional teams.
- Ability to understand Science.
- Able to construct visuals that aid in decision-making.
- Experience managing in a matrix organization.
- Highly analytical, capability to synthesize variety of data.
- Able to bring structure from complexity.
- Experience with financial modeling.
- Collaborative and team-first mentality.
- Able to understand science and finance.
- Performs necessary tasks, even menial ones, with joy.
- 10+ years of experience.
- 4-5 years of experience as an employee or consultant in a high-impact (e.g. Biotech) industry.
- Able to build and understand financial models.
- Experience working in highly analytical positions.
- Experience in portfolio management/strategy development required.
- Some science (specifically biology, biochemistry, or related field) background required.