Director of Merchandising Systems
Chewy’s mission is to empower pet parents to make smarter decisions about products for their pets. We do that by making the industry transparent through artificial intelligence and data. As a part of that mission, the Merchandising Engineering team builds platforms to capture competitive intelligence, maintain the product catalog, and maintain the pricing and promotions platform. The Merchandising engineering teams are responsible for building highly scalable platforms catered to support Chewy’s rapid growth. This role is reporting directly to the VP of Software Engineering. The Director of Merchandising Systems will lead the engineering platforms with key focus on Product Catalog, Price & Promotions. The team will build products to track competitor prices and assortment, build models to establish product elasticity, create a price and promotions management system.
What you'll do:
- Build a scalable Pricing and Promotions platform that can power millions of hits per day that is extremely fault tolerant and performs at ecommerce scale.
- Build a powerful price and promotions management system that can support multiple price and promotion experiments on a day to day basis.
- Build and maintain the ever-growing product catalog to support multiple business verticals.
- Recruit, hire, and mentor exceptional software engineers, quality engineers, technical product managers and data scientists.
- Work with product management, product development, operations, merchandisers, and other internal stakeholders to define requirements, guide product and architectural vision, and prioritize efforts.
- Ensure timely and consistent communication to facilitate a clear understanding of ongoing projects, and their prioritization within the organization
- Manage an active research agenda aimed at generating innovations to solve business needs and technical challenges (including outside research)
- Integrate research into a technical roadmap for product development.
- Iterate quickly with an agile development process.
- Create a dynamic, collaborative and fun team environment.
- Engage team in conferences and external activities that facilitate staying abreast of the latest cutting-edge technologies and approaches.
What you'll need:
- A thought leader. You can think ahead and build scalable platforms for the future. You can communicate and command the respect of executives and developers.
- 6+ years of experience with managing people. Strong leadership skills. You can motivate and grow your people. You can inspire people to go above and beyond.
- 3+ years of experience with Merchandising Systems
- 15+ years of technology work experience
- Experience building highly scalable applications that can meet growing business needs
- Knowledge of cloud technologies, such as AWS, Azure, and/or Google Cloud.
- Strong programming language experience in any of the following languages Java, Python
- Advanced Degree (MBA or MS) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or another related field.
- Experience presenting to C-Suite
- Position may require some travel
- Strong engineering background building Products that are Ecommerce scale
- Prior roles in Ecommerce or in technology companies