API Support Engineer
Come join the LevelUp team in Boston to help build the next-generation growth engine for restaurants, connecting restaurants and guests with a seamless customer experience that blends analytics, loyalty, and rewards. And now as part of the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering company, LevelUp—together with Grubhub—is on the front lines creating an even more complete solution for restaurants.
We take pride in our inclusive and collaborative team atmosphere that encourages constant learning and growth, and empowers our employees to use their unique strengths and perspectives to make the biggest impact possible. And if we can have some fun, eat tons of food and win the Boston Business Journal’s #1 Best Place to Work Award (which we did twice!) along the way, even better. If you’re looking for a diverse, creative, hard-working team to solve exciting new problems with - look no further!
The LevelUp team is looking for an API Support Engineer. This position will work closely with both internal and external engineers and product resources to provide technical support for using LevelUp’s APIs. Ideal candidates will blend a mix of technical problem solving and strong communication skills when working with partners like Google, Facebook, Yelp and Chase. Other responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- Providing product expertise to partners about how to leverage LevelUp’s APIs
- Maintaining and update LevelUp’s technical documentation
- Gathering and documenting feedback for new functionality LevelUp should express via its API
You have outstanding communication skills. You’ll need to work with engineering teams both within and outside of our company, and you’ll spend a lot of time on the phone with partners either representing our API & functionality or troubleshooting an issue. Sometimes they are wrong, sometimes we are wrong, but nobody likes being told they’re wrong. Your ability to make a case and back it up is matched only by your ability to be flawlessly diplomatic while doing so.
You’re great at managing complexity. Our strategic partnerships typically leverage everything we can do as a company, and involve the whole team. While most of the operations, finance, and marketing components are handled by the partner’s strategic account manager, you’ll be responsible for keeping any development work on track, for basically all the partnerships.
You’re eager to learn, or already fine jumping into code. You don’t need to have a CS degree or an engineering background, but it helps. You’ll be asked to use Postman to test API calls, write SQL to answer your own data questions, and understand the rough complexity of product enhancements without engineering input. Maybe there’s even a simple feature that needs to be built, so why not just build it yourself?
You can switch from big picture to small details. You’re just as comfortable and excited to roadmap the overall architecture of a new payment flow with a partner’s CTO as you are to route through logs hunting down a pernicious bug for their QA team.
You learn quickly. The LevelUp platform does a lot, and you’ll need to pick up all the ins and outs of the product in your first few months on the job, and retain all of that knowledge to help you with future projects.
You’re a great copywriter. We pride ourselves on great API documentation. You’ll probably end up owning pieces of it, especially as it relates to work we’re doing custom for a partner. You’ve seen good and bad API docs, and appreciate that spending the time upfront is going to lessen your 1-1 support time in the future.
You have a get-it-done attitude. You recognize no explicit bounds to the scope of your role and will do anything you can do to help get a product shipped.
Experience working with large strategic partners is a plus, but not required.
Benefits & Perks
- Free catered lunches from the businesses in the LevelUp ecosystem plus LevelUp credit to spend wherever we are accepted
- A never ending amount of coffee beans to make whatever suits your fancy and a snack closet that’s constantly stocked with a variety of snacks ranging from super healthy protein bars to a delicious bag of greasy chips
- Comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability & Life Insurance, Supplemental Life Insurance, and a Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with strong company match and a wide variety of investment options
- Flexible Unlimited Vacation Policy
- Charitable Matching Program
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, karaoke, and game nights
- Company-wide initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning, and cross-department connections
- Casual office environment where jeans and flip flops are acceptable. #NoSuits
- Convenient access to the MBTA via red, green, orange line & Commuter Rail (Downtown Crossing Station, Park Street & South Station are a few blocks away)
LevelUp, a Grubhub Company, connects restaurants and guests with a seamless customer experience that blends analytics, loyalty, and rewards. LevelUp brings its technology to market in multiple ways: embedded into partner restaurant apps to provide a full-stack customer engagement solution; via an open developer platform that powers over 200 mobile apps; and through the LevelUp partner distribution channels, which lets consumers order ahead and avoid the line at their favorite lunch spots using the apps already on their phone.
Based in Boston, LevelUp is a part of Grubhub’s portfolio of brands and powers the mobile experiences for top brands like Chase Pay, Pret A Manger, Potbelly, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Steak ‘N Shake, Dunn Bros Coffee, Argo Tea and sweetgreen.
LevelUp is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as an individual with a disability.