Senior Technical Writer at Toast
We are a rapidly growing company that’s revolutionizing the way the restaurant industry does business by pairing technology with an unrivaled commitment to customer success. We help restaurants streamline operations, increase revenue, and deliver amazing guest experiences through our platform that combines restaurant point of sale, guest-facing technology, and award-winning customer support. As a Toaster, you will be challenged to take on meaningful projects that will help shape the future of the company. Join us as we empower the restaurant community to delight guests, do what they love, and thrive.
Toast is looking for a senior technical writer to join our engineering documentation team and play a critical role in designing and developing comprehensive, technical documentation for complex cloud-based software. At Toast, the engineering documentation team develops high-quality product information for external and internal users of the Toast POS system. In this role, you will be responsible for working with product managers, development leads, UX designers, and quality assurance engineers to understand the features our development team is building, and for working with support teams and end-users to understand what information they will need in order to be successful. You will research and test new functionality, design and develop new documentation, update existing documentation, conduct documentation reviews, and evaluate the effectiveness of our documentation set.
Some projects we’ve been working on recently include:
- Writing comprehensive technical documentation for restaurant POS system features.
- Writing developer’s guide content for new REST APIs using the Swagger/OpenAPI framework.
- Establishing documentation practices in a fast-growing, dynamic start-up environment.
As a senior technical writer, you will:
- Work with product managers, UX designers, and software developers to plan technical documentation content for new product features.
- Develop documentation information architecture and integrate input from stakeholders.
- Research and test new and existing Toast functionality.
- Develop high-quality documentation content to ensure internal team and end-user success.
- Engage subject matter experts and organize content review and revision.
- Become an expert Toast user and user advocate.
- Track and communicate product changes as part of a cross-functional product/engineering team.
- Collaborate in evaluating documentation effectiveness and developing improvement plans.
If you’re someone who:
- Wants to work on systems that are critical to customer success.
- Sees documentation as a form of user advocacy.
- Enjoys designing and developing information solutions to solve complex business problems.
- Loves the challenge of writing minimalist technical documentation.
- Builds consensus around team writing style and contributes to style guide development.
- Works cross-functionally to build effective software development organizations.
- Enjoys building documentation process and infrastructure at a growing company.
We’d love to talk!