Rapid7 is breaking down silos and transforming how Security, IT, and DevOps teams work together to drive secure innovation. Our analytics and automation cloud, Rapid7 Insight, provide the shared visibility, intelligence, and connected workflow these teams need to manage the vulnerabilities, threats, and performance issues that put their organizations at risk. With more than 7,100 customers across 120 countries, Rapid7 is a recognized leader in cybersecurity.
Rapid7 has an open position for a Patent Counsel based in Boston, MA. Patent Counsel will report to Rapid7’s General Counsel and be integral to continuing to develop the company’s IP strategy. This person will be apart of the seven-person Legal team. The Patent Attorney will develop and execute strategies for building out processes and executing to create high quality IP assets that safeguard Rapid7’s R&D investments.
- Provide strategic counsel in identifying and developing high quality patent assets that encompass the foundation of Rapid7’s technological differentiation in the marketplace, and take ownership of IP strategies focused on protecting that competitive advantage;
- Harvest new inventions, review invention disclosures, and partner with Rapid7 patent committee in making strategic decisions to allocate capital for maximizing the strengths of Rapid7’s IP portfolio;
- Lead the preparation, filing, and prosecution of U.S. patent applications, working closely with inventors, business leaders, and other members of the Rapid7 IP team to develop high quality application content and strategic claim scope;
- Prepare responses to USPTO Office Actions and make patent application secondary filing decisions that maximize the scope of protection in view of Rapid7’s strategic goals and capital allocation priorities;
- Oversee the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of patent preparation and prosecution activities carried-out by Rapid7’s outside counsel;
- Drive initiatives for partnering with and enabling engineers and increasing productivity in the development of Rapid7’s IP assets.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school.
- At least 3 additional years of legal experience.
- Must be registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Must be a member in good standing of the bar of at least one U.S. state.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter eager to partner with a range of business units within the organization to devise and execute global strategies for creating patent assets that have maximal impact for the business. Ability to handle many issues at once and simultaneously excel at both strategic and tactical decision-making.
Other desired characteristics include:
- Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science is preferred, though degrees in Physics, and other hard sciences combined with significant software background may be considered.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience drafting and prosecuting U.S. and global patent applications in the electrical and/or computer science fields.
- Experience with establishing and controlling budgets, costs and expenses relating to patent drafting and prosecution;
- Have a demonstrated understanding, command, and continued engagement with U.S. patent laws and regulations, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office practices and procedures, Paris Convention rules and Patent Cooperation Treaty rules and practices;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently, with other IP counsel, with management, and with various business units in managing global patent portfolios and strategies that advance business objectives and goals;
- Facility with working collaboratively to solve complex IP problems;
- Demonstrated thought leadership, organizational skills, and business judgment;
- Exemplifies Rapid7’s four core values: meaningful customer relationships, continuous learning, disciplined risk-taking and individual excellence. Collaborative and creative problem-solver and team-player.