Legal Counsel at Nuance
Nuance is the pioneer and leader in conversational artificial intelligence (AI) innovations that bring intelligence to everyday work and life. We deliver solutions that understand, analyze, and respond to people, amplifying human intelligence to increase productivity and improve security. With decades of both domain and AI expertise, we work with thousands of organizations across a wide range of industries.
Check out our team Life at Nuance!
Join our team! At Nuance, we are constantly reinventing how people connect with technology and with each other. Our AI-powered solutions empower organizations to transform “business as usual.” For decades, the world’s leading financial, healthcare, telecommunications, retailers, and government organizations have trusted Nuance to bring them award-winning solutions that deliver more meaningful outcomes and empower a smarter, more connected world. From clinical speech recognition technologies that free physicians to spend more time caring for patients to real-time intelligence that powers billions of customer interactions, we’re deeply committed to helping organizations push the boundaries of what’s possible.
This position will be a Legal Counsel role reporting to the Senior Director Legal Counsel in Burlington, MA and supporting Nuance’s Enterprise business division in the US and Canada. The Legal Counsel’s role will focus on drafting and negotiating complex commercial licensing transactions involving cutting-edge technology solutions as part of a multi-disciplinary negotiation team consisting of sales, accounting, product managers, engineers, and data security/privacy experts. Typical customers are Fortune 500 companies across all industry sectors. The role will include the following responsibilities:
- Drafting and negotiation of varied and complex commercial licensing agreements for on-premise software licensing, hosted services offerings, professional services, channel partners, and data privacy with direct customers of Nuance and large multinational distributors and resellers.
- Interacting with and providing legal advice to solution architects, sales department, and product managers on a day-to-day basis.
- Coordinating with revenue accounting team, global deal optimization team and various members of Nuance’s Enterprise business management team to close deals in a timely manner.
- Advising the business team on the various legal issues and risks, business strategies, complex deal structures, approval processes, intellectual property and other issues related to technology transactions.
- Assisting in the updating and drafting of Nuance contract templates for both existing and new product offerings.
- Developing a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the company's business, people, products, markets, customers and partners in order to identify trends and formulate effective strategies.
- Assisting on other legal matters (i.e. commercial/corporate/IP/regulatory) as needed/assigned.
Education: BA or BS. JD from an accredited law school. Strong academic performance. Licensed to practice law in the United States, preferably Massachusetts or New York.
Minimum years of work experience: 3-6 years
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in handling complex commercial and technology transactions (ideally with a focus on software licensing, SaaS and related services), including experience with providing legal support to a sales team.
- Strong negotiation skills for the purpose of educating and persuading others and bringing deals to closure. Ability to quickly understand business needs and act to influence and persuade others in a manner that protects the company and aids in meeting/exceeding the company’s revenue targets.
- Flexibility and willingness to work on a broad array of legal matters.
- A non-hierarchical, affable, collegial team-player who is comfortable operating in an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment and used to very busy peak times at quarter ends.
- Mature individual with sound judgment who is pragmatic and solution-oriented. A genuine business partner who will provide business-focused advice that balances appropriate legal risk management with the need to close revenue-generating deals.
- Bright, self-confident, well-organized and proactive, flexible self-starter with "deal-closing" ability.
- Demonstrable ability to understand technical issues quickly, possessing strong analytical and problem-solving skills and demonstrating a strong ability to prioritize.
- Knowledge and experience regarding data privacy issues and laws a plus.
Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.
Nuance celebrates diversity and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action workplace. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, military and veteran status, disability, genetics, or any other category protected by law or Nuance policy. If you need an accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 781-565-5086 and let us know.