Lead Counsel, Tax and ERISA at MassMutual
We are seeking an experienced attorney to join MassMutual’s Law Department. This attorney will be an integral part of MassMutual’s Workplace Solutions, Retirement Operations and Institutional Solutions law team, which is responsible for supporting the legal needs of MassMutual’s retirement, institutional stable value, and pension buy-out businesses..
REPORTS TO: Lead Counsel, Tax and ERISA & Head of Workplace Solutions, Retirement Operations & Institutional Solutions Law
- Provide legal advice on insurance law issues and negotiate contracts for MassMutual’s Institutional Pension Buyout and Stable Value businesses.
- Providing legal advice with respect to tax qualification and application of ERISA and federal securities laws and regulations to employee benefit plans.
- Analyzing the impact of complex legal and regulatory developments on the retirement plans of our clients and communicating the impact on a timely basis to internal associates and clients.
- Providing practical and solution-oriented advice on the design, implementation and marketing of financial services products to employee benefit plans and plan fiduciaries.
- Counseling on the design and implementation of qualified plan recordkeeping processes and procedures, and applying the fiduciary responsibility and prohibited transaction provisions of ERISA to transactions involving clients’ plans.
- Manage external counsel with respect to certain transactional activity
- JD from an accredited law school, a member of the Bar in good standing (any state), and the ability to become licensed for in-house practice if not licensed in the applicable state.
- Demonstrated academic achievement.
- In-depth understanding and experience (7+ years) working on a wide variety of Internal Revenue Code and ERISA issues involving Section 401(a) qualified retirement plans, Section 403(b) and Section 457 plans. Experience with Stable Value Insurance Products would be a plus.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, research and verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to successfully work with internal colleagues, external counsel and other third parties at senior levels.
- Strong client relationship skills and the ability to consult with all levels of management.
- A self-starter who is business focused and conditioned to high pressure from a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately prioritize tasks, organize and coordinate work while showing initiative, independence and sound judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Results focused, hard-working, hands on and creative.
- Detail-oriented and flexible with a strong work ethic.
- Large law firm or financial services in-house experience is preferred.
- Authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now or in the future.