Internal IP Attorney
At Markforged, we are on a mission to unlock the next 10x innovation in design and manufacturing. We build an Industrial 3D Printing Platform to liberate designers and engineers from decades-old, slow part creation processes. NASA, Google, Ford, Amazon, Siemens and thousands of companies in 50 countries use Markforged to print same-day prototypes and produce stronger end-use parts than they did before. With Markforged, customers are able to ship 50X faster, spend 20X less, and build products that are 23X stronger.
As the IP Manager/Counsel, you should enjoy engaging and building upon your technical education or training to identify opportunities for patent protection. You should take initiative to develop and implement patent strategies that are both cost-effective and consistent with business objectives. To do this you will be expected to work independently, with minimal oversight, to provide sound legal advice and opinions regarding patentability, infringement, invalidity, enforceability, and other types of rigorous analyses. You will collaborate with business and technology managers and mentor fellow employees about IP matters, including conducting patent training sessions on a periodic basis. Markforged is a fast growing company in an exciting technology space including electromechanical machines, robotics, sensors, materials, algorithms, furnaces and more. We welcome an Internal IP manager to own the IP process at Markforged.
In this role you will:
- Identify opportunities for expanding the company’s IP position and work with members of various groups within the company to take advantage of such opportunities
- Engage and counsel inventors from invention disclosure throughout the patenting process, and post-grant
- Prepare, prosecute and manage outside IP counsel handling patent prosecution to ensure the strategy properly encapsulates the invention and conforms to the goals of the company
- Counsel senior management on critical IP issues
- Advise internal stakeholders and in-house counsel on IP-related contracts and agreements
- Assist in developing yearly IP budget forecasts and in monitoring outside counsel spend and performance
- Conduct freedom to operate and patentability assessments and monitor competitor intellectual property to mitigate risk
- Participate in IP management and periodic patent committee review, due diligence (e.g., M&A), and third party IP watches
- Develop and continually expand a thorough understanding of Markforged’s current and planned business activities, products, competitors, and markets
- Provide training to engineering team on patent law and internal process and IP matters generally
What we look for:
- 7-10 years at a major law firm (or law firm plus in-house counsel or patent office), intellectual property experience required
- Technical background (science or engineering). J.D. from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA)
- Strong technical/analytical skills expertise in intellectual property law, combined with a practical, business-oriented and strategic approach to identifying and solving business and legal problems
- Self-motivated, assertive and self-confident with the ability to act with urgency and passion
- Proven ability to work with a high level of integrity, accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong organizational and priority-setting skills in order to complete projects on-time and on-budget
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels of the organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for effectively interfacing with all levels of management and departments within the company
- Proactively seek out and recommend process improvements
- Entrepreneurial, enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
- At Markforged, we have a culture that values learning, data-driven decision making, and prioritization
- We learn from failure and are not afraid to keep trying after others have given up
- We are a team of talented individuals and are looking to grow with enthusiastic individuals who share our vision of improving how the world innovates
- We offer a competitive compensation package and a full suite of benefits, including medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k), parental leave, commuter benefits, open PTO policy, and more
- Our work environment includes casual dress, a fully stocked kitchen, bike storage, free parking, weekly catered lunches, and fitness perks
Markforged values the differences among our employees and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. These differences include but are not limited to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. This goal emphasizes the development of inclusive work environments that capitalize on each employee’s skills, experience, and unique perspectives as we strive to achieve an unparalleled standard of excellence.
To all recruitment agencies: Markforged does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Markforged employees. Markforged is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description