Intellectual Property / Product Counsel at Toast
Now, more than ever, the Toast team is committed to our customers. We’re taking steps to help restaurants navigate these unprecedented times with technology, resources, and community. Our focus is on building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love. And because our technology is purpose-built for restaurants, by restaurant people, restaurants can trust that we’ll deliver on their needs for today while investing in experiences that will power their restaurant of the future.
Toast, Inc. seeks a seasoned, passionate IP attorney to support Toast’s IP strategy and diverse portfolio across multiple business units. As IP/Product Counsel, you will advise Toast and its subsidiaries on intellectual property law and Toast’s intellectual property strategy, and partner directly with cross-functional stakeholders on product launches for innovative products and services in the domains of e-commerce, software, and hardware. In addition, you will handle a variety of IP-related responsibilities including trademark prosecution and enforcement, patent development and prosecution, open source review, domain portfolio management, IP diligence, among others.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Research, analyze, and advise cross-functional team members on complex legal and matters related to the development, maintenance, and enforcement of Toast’s IP portfolio, and support business units in the development and launch of innovative products and services.
- Provide strategic advice on the company’s IP development, strategic partnerships, business relationships, brand marketing programs, and licensing activities.
- Draft, review, negotiate, and maintain a range of IP-related agreements and materials, including foundational documents for products and services, licensing agreements, partnership agreements, and manufacturing services agreements.
- Develop and implement IP training resources, programs, and/or materials to foster innovation efforts and outcomes.
- Participate as a core member of project teams, and assist in the development, branding, and protection of innovative technologies.
- Work in partnership with other members of the Toast Legal and Compliance teams to leverage internal subject matter expertise and integrate into applicable products, services and IP matters.
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- A J.D. from an ABA-accredited U.S. law school, and membership in good standing to at least one state bar. Admission to practice before the USPTO and/or a technical degree a plus.
- At least 5 years of experience advising technology clients on intellectual property matters and product development, either in-house or at a law firm.
- Deep knowledge of technology and intellectual property laws and regulations, including expertise on trademark prosecution and enforcement, patent development and prosecution, open source review and counseling, domain portfolio management, IP diligence, and technology licensing, in addition to substantive experience with software and hardware development, e-commerce, emerging technologies, and financial services.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and drafting skills (contracts, memoranda, etc.) with an emphasis on attention to relevant detail.
- Ability to analyze risks, evaluate legal issues, and provide concise written advice to a non-legal audience, particularly with respect to intellectual property considerations.
- Ability to work independently, manage competing priorities effectively, and meet deadlines.
- Passion for collaborating with a wide range of people in a diverse and inclusive environment. Team-focused, positive attitude, and a good sense of humor encouraged.
*Bread puns encouraged but not required