PathAI's mission is to improve patient outcomes with AI-powered pathology. Our platform promises substantial improvements to the accuracy of diagnosis and the efficacy of treatment of diseases like cancer, leveraging modern approaches in machine learning. Our team, comprising diverse employees with a wide range of backgrounds and experiences, is passionate about solving challenging problems and making a huge impact.
General Counsel is a newly-established leadership role that reports to PathAI’s Chief Financial Officer, and works closely with the leaders of PathAI’s Business Development, Strategic Partnerships, and Finance teams and also supports the Technology, Scientific, legal and regulatory and people teams on IP, regulatory, compliance, privacy, employment and other legal issues. This position will own all aspects of PathAI’s legal responsibilities: from contract negotiations, license agreements, employment law, partnerships to other special projects.
- Leading the day-to-day legal function, contributing to business strategy while maintaining legal and regulatory compliance, company-wide
- Working closely with Business Development and Strategic Partnership teams advising on and negotiating complex legal and business transactions such as master collaboration, service, IP and co-commercialization agreements
- Working closely with the Finance team for all corporate and capital markets transactions, including financings and acquisitions
- Supporting a wide array of other departments including Operations, People, Clinical, Regulatory / Quality in assisting with various legal matters including general risk management, global data privacy policies, healthcare issues (e.g., CAP/CLIA, GCP, HIPAA) intellectual property and employment matters, to ensure legal matters are solved efficiently and practically while identifying and mitigating risks
- Directing all relevant outside counsel and overseeing their work
- Assisting with a variety of Board-related corporate matters including organizational documents, governance and management of corporate entities
- Staying informed of industry-specific regulations, standards and leading practices
- Designing, recruiting and managing an in-house legal team over time
- JD from accredited law school and license to practice in at least one US jurisdiction
- 10+ years of professional experience, preferably in both law firm and in-house roles
(will consider high potential candidates with less experience at Senior Counsel with room to grow)
- Proven legal experience in the Medical Device, Lab, Clinical, Pharmaceutical, and/or Software industries
- Strong background working in a regulatory environment (e.g. FDA, international regulatory and health authorities, etc.)
- Extensive contracting for various types of partnerships
- Exposure to IP / patents a plus
- Strategic thinker who can quickly identify key issues, working with limited/ambiguous data, and evaluate potential solutions
- Entrepreneurial mindset – proactive, persistent, collaborative, and excited to tackle a wide range of new topics, with varying levels of guidance -- and a willingness to flexibly play a wide variety of roles as situations require
- An ability to easily build trust-based relationships with employees at all levels/units across the organization
- Strong listening and overall communications skills-- and in particular, an ability to clearly communicate legal advice to lawyers and non-lawyers internal/external
- Strong moral compass, sound judgment and personal empathy
For the right candidate, we'll offer a competitive salary plus equity. Your compensation is rounded out by a strong benefits package:
- Flexible work hours, with work-from-home options available
- Three weeks of paid leave per year, an additional two weeks of sick time, plus extended holidays and team-approved leave
- Ten days of 100% subsidized childcare per year
- Healthcare, vision, and dental insurance plans (HMO or PPO), with voluntary add-ons available for dependent care, life, and accident coverage
- Commuter benefit available for public transit or parking
Most importantly, you'll be doing important work with a team of people you'll genuinely enjoy spending the day with.
PathAI is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace that is free of harassment and discrimination. We base our employment decisions on business needs, job requirements, and qualifications — that's all. We do not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, health, personal beliefs, age, family or parental status, or any other status. We don't tolerate any kind of discrimination or bias, and we are looking for teammates who feel the same way.
PathAI does not accept unsolicited submissions from third-parties.
With the rise of employment phishing scams, especially during the current COVID-19 situation, we ask candidates to be extra vigilant. Be careful about providing any kind of personal information, such as location, age, or financial information to recruiters who may be impersonating PathAI employees. PathAI does not require payment for interviews or for applicants to purchase their own work supplies for reimbursement.