Acquia is the open source digital experience company. We provide the world's most ambitious brands with technology (built around Drupal) that allows them to embrace innovation and create customer moments that matter. At Acquia we believe in the power of community and collaboration - giving our customers the freedom to build tomorrow on their terms.
Headquartered in the U.S., we have been named as one of North America’s fastest growing software companies as reported by Deloitte and Inc. Magazine, and have been rated a leader by the analyst community and named one of the Best Places to Work by the Boston Business Journal. We are Acquia. We are building for the future of the web, and we want you to be a part of it.
Acquia is seeking an experienced and hands on General Counsel who will provide senior management with effective legal advice on company business strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, and collaborate with and oversee the work of outside counsel. Reporting to the CFO, the General Counsel is the principal legal officer of the company, with overall responsibility for the vision and leadership of Acquia’s global legal strategy and services and the management of legal risk throughout the organization. A member of Acquia’s senior management team, the General Counsel will serve as legal counsel and strategic advisor to the Company’s executive team.
This position is located in our Boston, MA headquarters.
This is an amazing opportunity to join a successful private company and play a key role in supporting the company’s rapid growth.
- Managing, advising on and negotiating complex legal and business transactions.
- Supporting a wide array of departments including Sales, Operations, HR, Finance, and Marketing; assisting with various legal matters including general risk management, data privacy, employment, and intellectual property.
- Leading a business focused legal function, contributing to the strategy of the business and driving performance.
- Mentor, lead and manage a small internal legal team
- Influencing, evaluating, and managing effective, timely and cost efficient outside legal counsel services and expert advisors as needed.
- Supporting business operations and providing direction and counsel regarding compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, and staying abreast of laws, legislative developments and developing external trends.
- Support the Human Resource Department on global employment matters to ensure statutory and regulatory compliance.
- Advising and counseling on equity and tax issues and regulations, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Maintaining responsibility for and managing all aspects of the ethics and corporate compliance function
- Manage intellectual property portfolio, including trademark and copyright registration and protection, and patent matters.
- At least 15 years of legal experience, in positions of responsibility, with work on complicated issues and experience advising decision makers in high-stakes matters.
- Software industry experience with drafting and negotiating complex commercial intellectual property transactions.
- Strong experience with contract and legal negotiations with enterprise customers.
- Demonstrated ability to balance legal and business considerations, multi-task, problem-solve and operate in fast-paced and rapid growth environments is required.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with senior business leaders and other professionals and colleagues at all levels of an organization while utilizing excellent business and legal judgement in complex situations.
- Strong, pragmatic problem-solving business acumen with the ability to be adaptable and flexible in his/her approach and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic and high-energy environment.
- Capacity to take on significant work volume while being responsive and managing quick turnaround times.
- Advocacy and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and as a member of a team.
- Unquestioned integrity, credibility
- Doctor of Law degree (J.D.)
- Member of Massachusetts or other state bar in good standing
Acquia is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. We hire without regard to age, color, disability, gender (including gender identity), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.