FinTech Counsel at Toast
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Now more than ever, restaurants are seeking creative financial solutions to assist them and their employees with their unique and evolving financial needs. Through its rapidly-growing FinTech business line, Toast is able to help its constantly expanding base of restaurant customers adapt, grow, and thrive through innovative financial products and services, including faster access to revenue and capital through prepaid cards and commercial loans, dynamic ways to pay for Toast POS solutions, earned wage access benefit programs, payment processing services, alternative payment products, and more.
The FinTech Legal team is growing! Toast is hiring a mid-level attorney to support its FinTech business line. In this role, you will actively participate on project teams and engage with passionate and enthusiastic business partners to help inform the design, development, and implementation of new financial products and services, promote new business through transactional work with vendors and strategic partners, and provide general legal support to the FinTech business team. And you’ll do it all in a fun and collaborative environment that values your insights, creative thinking, intellectual curiosity, and ability to roll with it. This position reports to Toast’s Lead Counsel, FinTech.
What you will do:
- Research, analyze, and respond to questions from Toast’s FinTech Product and Payments teams on a wide range of legal and regulatory matters related to financial products and services, including credit and debit products, alternative payments, payment processing, purchase finance, electronic funds transactions, and earned wage access programs
- Participate on cross-functional project and operational teams where you will help: design cutting edge financial products, identify creative and adaptive solutions to challenging use cases and escalated issues, and ensure compliance with financial regulations, partner contracts, card brand rules, and other applicable laws
- Review multi-channel advertising materials for compliance with federal and state laws and best practices, and provide feedback and guidance to Marketing team stakeholders
- Draft, review, update, and negotiate foundational documents for products and services (e.g., customer agreements, terms and conditions, regulatory disclosures, etc.), as well as contracts with vendors, partners, financial institutions, and third-party service providers of financial products and solutions
- Support FinTech Legal teammates on larger-scale strategic transactions and enterprise projects
- Monitor evolving laws that may impact the FinTech business line and its existing and emerging products and services, and partner with Toast’s Compliance team to assist with operationalizing and implementing compliant solutions
Do you have the right ingredients?
- A J.D. from an ABA-accredited U.S. law school, and membership in good standing to at least one state bar
- 5+ years of concentrated experience advising corporate clients on a variety of FinTech products, either in-house or at a law firm
- Strong knowledge of financial laws and regulations, including a majority of the following: CFPB regulations (most specifically Reg B, Reg E, Reg P, and Reg Z), other laws and industry best practices related to commercial and consumer credit, prepaid debit cards, and electronic funds transactions (including NACHA), card association and payment network rules, federal and state consumer protection laws (most specifically UDA(A)P, CAN SPAM, and TCPA), BSA, and state money transmitter laws
- Subject matter expertise with at least some of the following products/services: commercial/consumer debit cards, commercial credit (including loans, lines of credit, and credit cards), alternative payments (e.g., mobile wallets), payment processing (specifically through payment facilitator relationships), earned wage access, alternative banking, purchase financing, and commercial lease arrangements
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements within the financial services industry, with enthusiastic attention to detail
Our Spread of Total Rewards
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- Subsidized backup childcare
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.