Now more than ever, restaurants are seeking creative financial solutions to assist them and their employees with their dynamic and unique financial needs. Through its rapidly-growing FinTech business line, Toast helps its constantly expanding base of restaurant customers adapt, grow, and thrive by designing and powering innovative financial technology products and services built specifically for restaurants .
Toast is hiring an attorney to assist its Lead FinTech Counsel and provide daily legal support to a creative, collaborative, and enthusiastic FinTech business team.. As FinTech Counsel, you will advise Toast and its subsidiaries on legal, compliance, and financial regulatory matters, inform the design and development of new financial products, promote the company's growth through drafting and negotiating contracts with vendors and customers, and provide general business line support to the Marketing, Operations, Engineering, Product, Payments, and Strategic Alliances teams.
What you will do:
- Research, analyze, and provide practical advice to cross-functional team memberson complex legal and compliance matters related to new and existing financial products and services (e.g., open/closed-end commercial/consumer credit, payments, cards, financing, etc.), contract terms, and regulatory interpretation
- Draft, review, update, and negotiate foundational documents for products and services (e.g., customer agreements, terms of service, regulatory disclosures, etc.), as well as partnership agreements with financial institutions, card networks, and third-party service providers of financial products
- Participate as a core member of project teams, and assist with the end-to-end design of innovative financial products to ensure a compliant but competitive end result
- Review multi-channel advertising materials for compliance with federal and state laws and best practices
- Monitor evolving laws that may impact Toast’s financial products and services, and assist with operationalizing and implementing compliant solutions
- Work closely with other members of Toast's in-house Legal and Compliance teams to leverage internal subject matter expertise on product, payments, labor and employment, intellectual property, privacy, and cybersecurity, and integrate input into FinTech solutions
Do you have the right ingredients?
- A J.D. from an ABA-accredited U.S. law school, and membership in good standing to at least one state bar
- At least five years of concentrated experience advising corporate clients on a variety of FinTech products, either in-house or at a law firm
- Strong knowledge of financial regulation, including deep expertise in laws related to two or more of the following: card association and payment network rules, prepaid cards, retail installment sales, commercial/consumer credit, equipment financing, payday lending, money transmission, financial advertising, and CFPB regulations
- Ability to analyze risks, evaluate legal issues, and provide concise written advice to a business (i.e., non-legal) audience, particularly with respect to emerging products and services
- Ability to develop creative and adaptive solutions to unique and complex product design inquiries
- Strong drafting skills (contracts, memoranda, etc.), with an emphasis on attention to detail
- Unwavered by a rapid-paced working environment and meeting deadlines
- Team-focused, positive attitude, and good sense of humor
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of people in a diverse and accepting environment