This is a terrific opportunity for a self-motivated and ambitious attorney to join our legal team. At Forward Financing, our mission is to be the leading provider of financing solutions to under-served small businesses. As one of the fastest growing companies in Massachusetts we are at the forefront of growth in the FinTech space. We are 100% dedicated to this vertical and to achieving our mission.
In this role as Counsel, you will concentrate on compliance matters but assist in a variety of other legal matters as well. You will report to the General Counsel, and collaborate frequently with other attorneys, paralegals and support staff on our legal team, as well as other employees throughout the Company.
In this role you will:
- Work on the further development, implementation, assessment and testing of Company policies and procedures designed to mitigate risk, including those in the areas of data security and privacy, human resources, document retention, ethics and internal compliance, among others.
- Stay up to date on new applicable statutes, caselaw, requirements and best practices, and incorporate these into the Company’s compliance program, as appropriate.
- Serve as the Company’s expert with regard to all compliance matters, issues and initiatives.
- Provide recommendations to senior management regarding potential solutions to issues as they arise.
- Develop and provide compliance and ethics training to employees.
- Negotiate vendor contracts, NDAs and data privacy agreements.
- Develop and maintain contract management system.
- Work closely with other business units across the Company.
- Provide assistance on various other general matters within the legal department.
- Passionate: High energy. “Can-do-attitude.” Enthusiastic. Optimistic, open, and objective toward others.
- Coachable: Open to feedback and continual professional improvement. Flexible and adaptable.
- High Standards: Quality orientation. Follow through on commitments. A doer who gets things done.
- Efficient: Producing significant output with minimal wasted effort, organized planning and prioritization.
- Proactive: Self-starter, continually seeks additional responsibilities. Willingness to go the distance to get something done, including working long hours at times if needed.
- Collaborative: Strong “people orientation.” Can disagree without being abrasive or intimidating. Team player.
- Emotional Intelligence: High degree of self-awareness. Handles interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically. Exercises good judgement while under pressure.
- Communicator: Speaks and writes clearly and articulately and possesses an openness to people and a willingness to hear what others are saying.
- Ability to Prioritize: Tackle several projects simultaneously, aligning the order in which you complete with the most pressing needs.
- Quick Study: Intelligent. Quickly and proficiently learn, understand and absorb new information.
- 3-5 years of experience as an attorney in a corporate compliance role
- Admitted to the MA Bar and is in good standing
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with senior management, fellow employees and external counsel.
- Ability to break down complicated laws into understandable and approachable language
- Excellent writing skills
- Self-motivated, organized and able to work independently
- Effective in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of Word and PowerPoint
Forward Financing is a Boston-based financial technology company that provides fast, flexible, and reliable working capital to small and medium-size businesses nationwide. By combining proprietary technology with a team of small business financing experts, Forward Financing delivers same day funding with the speed and simplicity business owners need to succeed and grow. With a simple online application, businesses can trust Forward Financing for approvals within minutes, funding within hours, and personalized support and service when they need it most.
Since 2012, Forward Financing has provided over $500m in funding to more than 10,000 small businesses. Consistently recognized as an industry leader, the company is A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau and receives top ratings across all major customer review platforms. In 2017 and 2018, Forward Financing was named by Inc. Magazine and the Boston Business Journal as one of the fastest growing companies in Massachusetts. Learn more at www.forwardfinancing.com
At Forward Financing, we believe that if our company succeeds, all of our employees succeed too. We offer a competitive compensation package for highly qualified candidates that are extremely motivated, have a positive attitude, and are able to ramp up quickly. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and commuter benefits along with gym reimbursement, 401K, paid volunteering days and a matching gift program. We work in an open environment with a start-up vibe, conveniently located just steps away from South Station. You will have the opportunity to work with people that enjoy a fun, social office culture.